Bauman is also spelled Baughman, Baumann, Boman, and Bowman.
The First Barbary War (1801–1805) was between the United States and the Barbary States of Tripoli and Algiers.
A grist mill is a building where a miller grinds gain into flour.
John Dieter Bauman was born the same year as the Boston Tea Party, on June 30, 1773. He was the son of Henry Bauman and Catherine Dreisbach. He was a farmer, lumberman, and hunter.
He married Maria Margaretha Neuhard, on May 17, 1796. Margaret was born on September 2, 1779 and was the daughter of Peter Newhard and his second wife, Catharine Miller.
Their children included:
Catherine (Kate) Bauman Peter (1797, married Jonas Peter, of Heidelberg),
Jacob Bauman (1799),
Johan Dieter (John) Bauman (1801),
Susanna Bauman Andreas (1804, married Jonas Andreas, of East Penn),
Jonas Bauman (1806),
David Bauman (1809),
Sarah Bauman Keiper (1812, married Daniel Keiper of Allentown),
Peter Bauman (1814),
Henry Bauman (1814),
Rebecca Bauman Dinkey (1816, married James Dinkey of Easton), Dennis Bauman (1819, married Mary Kress), and
Josiah Bauman (1826).
In 1796 he settled at what is now Bowmansville. At first the family lived in a log cabin.
In 1808 built a large stone house which he operated as a hotel. It was on the line of the old turnpike leading from Berwick to Easton.
He also owned and operated a gristmill on the west bank of the Lehigh below the chain bridge, the water power for which was cut off by the building of the canal.
He was a commissioner of Carbon county for three years.
In 1850 the household was in Lower Towamensing Township, Carbon County, Pennsylvania. The household consisted of Jno D. age 77, Margaret age 69, Josiah age 22, Susan Beer age 20 and Stephen Cress age 25. John was the landlord of a hotel.
John died on November 1, 1853 was buried at St. John's Church Cemetery in Palmerton. Margaretha died on September 24, 1854.
Pennsylvania is one of the 13 original states and was originally founded in 1681 as a result of a royal land grant to William Penn, the son of the state's namesake.
Settlers often built log cabins as their first homes.
In the War of 1812 (1812-1815) the United States declared war on England because of trade restrictions, impressment, and British support for Indian attacks. They signed the Treaty of Ghent on December 24, 1814 after reaching a stalemate.
from The History of the Counties of Lehigh & Carbon by Alfred Mathews and Austin N. Hungerford
The oldest, John D. [Bauman], father of Dennis, was born about the year 1772, and in 1796 settled in a place now known as Bowmansville. His house was built of logs, and to-day near the place stands the elegant residence of his youngest son, Josiah. He then became engaged in clearing a farm and lumbering, and, as his father before him had done, spent much time in hunting and trapping. In 1808 he built a large stone house, in front of which ran the old turnpike from Berwick to Easton. He obtained license, and from that time until his death, which occurred in 1853, kept the hotel, which to-day is still used as the same. Mr. Bauman was an active, intelligent business man, and in all his undertakings was successful. He was one of the leading citizens of that county; was also elected at one time county commissioner for three years, which term of public office he very creditably filled. He was loved and respected by all who knew him. He was the father of twelve children,—eight sons and four daughters,—five of whom are now dead.
Dennis Bauman, the seventh in succession, and son of the late John D. Bauman, was born April 10, 1819, at Bowmansville, then Northampton County, now Carbon. His early life was spent at home, assisting his father with his farming and lumbering.
In those days an education was not as easily obtained as it is to-day. While at home he attended the three months of winter school until he was sixteen years old, when he went to Mauch Chunk for a period of four months. Mauch Chunk was seven miles from home, so he boarded there during the week, going home on Saturday and returning Monday morning by stage.
At the age of twenty he felt the need of a better education. He then went to boarding-school at Line Lexington, Bucks Co., Pa., for two successive winters, each term consisting of four months. By these means he obtained a fair English education. Among the other studies which he mastered was surveying, which he put into practice soon after his return from school, and followed it closely and carefully, with considerable success, for nine years.
In the mean time he was appointed by Governor Shunk as deputy surveyor for Carbon County. At this time surveyors were appointed by the Governor. Mr. Bauman was actively engaged in his profession all over the country until about the year 1850, when he was elected prothonotary for Carbon County, and served in this capacity for a full term of three years, when he was re-elected without any opposition for another term of three years, which he filled acceptably to the public and with great credit to himself. About a year later he was elected as one of the associate judges of Carbon County, and sat on the bench with Hon. Judge Barrett for a term of five years.
About the year 1855 he connected himself with the firm of Bowman Brothers & Co., at Parryville, and became one of the most active members in erecting an anthracite blast-furnace at Parryville. In this firm he continued as the acting financial member until the year 1857, when the company dissolved their copartnership, and in its place was organized and incorporated the Carbon Ironfinancial panic of 1876. This company having two anthracite blast-furnaces, and part of the time three, in operation, it necessarily required all of Mr. Bauman’s time as its president in attending to its affairs, so he withdrew from the political field. About the year 1876, owing to the effects of the panic of 1873, this company was unfortunate in being forced into dissolution, since which he has lived a retired life, looking after his private affairs, giving some of his time to the procuring of iron ore for the furnaces of the Carbon Iron and Pipe Company. He has also served a term of five years as justice of the peace in the borough of Parryville. He is connected with the Carbon Metallic Paint Company; has been its secretary and treasurer for a number of years, which office he is now filling.
About the year 1875, Parryville was incorporated as a borough, the citizens showing their appreciation by electing him their chief burgess, re-electing him until the year 1881, when he declined further re-election, but continued in the board of council ever since. He has also been director of the First National Bank of Lehighton since its organization in 1876.
Mr. Bauman married Mary, daughter of Henry Kress, whose occupation was farming, residing near Cherryville, in Northampton County. The issue of their union was four sons and one daughter. His fourth child, Albert L., died at the early age of eighteen.
Mr. Bauman took fatherly pride in giving his children good educations, who to-day are filling positions of honor and trust. He has been a faithful worker and earnest member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and Sunday-school since 1858, having filled all of the offices of trust in those societies. Judge Bauman is a fair type of a true American citizen,—a man who has been prospered in many ways, one who enjoys the confidence of all who know him, a man whose sterling worth and integrity is worthy of example.
Chester County was one of the three original Pennsylvania counties created in 1682.
John Adams, Jr. (1735-1826) was the second President of the United States (1797–1801), the first Vice President (1789–1797).
History of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania by Lehigh County Historical Society
John Dieter Bauman, eldest son of Henry and Catharine (Dreisbach) Bauman, was born about 1772. He was reared upon the farm and became a farmer and lumberman, while, like his father and grandfather, he spent much time in hunting and trapping. In 1796 he settled where Bowmanstown now stands, where he built a log dwelling. He also owned and operated a gristmill on the west bank of the Lehigh below the chain bridge, the water power for which was cut off by the building of the canal.
In 1808 he built a large and substantial stone house and, obtaining a license, conducted it as a hotel until his decease. This hotel was on the line of the old turnpike leading from Berwick to Easton, and it was a stopping place for travelers on that highway. He was a commissioner of Carbon county for three years and an active, enterprising, and leading man of his county. He was interested in giving his children a liberal education and all were sent to institutions of higher education. He died in 1853.
He married, on May 17, 1796, Margaret Newhard, born Sept. 2, 1779, the daughter of Peter Newhard and his second wife, Catharine Miller. They had twelve children, all of whom married and attained mature years: Kate, who married Jonas Peter, of Heidelberg; Jacob; John; Susanna, who married Jonas Andreas, of East Penn township; Jonas; David; Sarah, who married Daniel Keiper, of Allentown; Peter; Henry; Rebecca; Dennis, and Josiah.
Jacob Bowman, the eldest son of John Dieter, was born March 28, 1799, in Towamensing township. He was reared upon the farm and received a liberal education as an equipment for a useful career. He became at first a merchant, conducting a general store for many years in the lower end of Lehigh Gap. He sold out in 1844 and removed to Lower Towamensing township, where he conducted a farm, grist-mill and general store. He was an enterprising man and was one of several who kept up a summer school for the benefit of their community. He was an old-line Whig, and later a Republican, and was a member, trustee, and class leader of the Evangelical Church. He died Oct. 17, 1877, and was interred at Snyder's church.
He married, June 9, 1829, Elizabeth Weiss,, born Dec. 5, 1808, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Solt) Weiss, and grand-daughter of Col. Jacob Weiss, a revolutionary officer. Mrs. Bowman died in 1883. They had ten children, three who died in infancy, and Amelia, wife of Cornelius Snyder; Eliza, wife of John Seem; Sarah, wife of Judge Levi Wentz; Bishop Thomas Bowman, D.D.; James; Ellen, wife of Perry Wannamacher; and Wesley W. Bowman.
A Whig was originally a supporter of the American Revolution and from about 1834 to 1855 was a member of the political party that opposed the Democrats. The party supported the supremacy of Congress over the Presidency and favored modernization and economic protectionism.
John D. Bowman settled at what is now Bowmansville, and in 1808 built the stone hotel. He built the road along the river in 1808, when the Lehigh and Susquehanna turnpike was put through. He kept the hotel at this place, and died here. He had eight sons, --Jacob, John, Jonas, David, Henry, Peter, Dennis, and Josiah. Jacob settled at Millport, John and Dennis at Parryville, Jonas, David, and Peter at Mahanoy City, and Henry and Josiah at Bowmansville.
Of the daughters of John D. Bowman, Kate married Jonas Peter, and settled in Heidelberg; Susanna became the wife of Jonas Andreas, of East Penn township; Sarah married Daniel Kieper, of Allentown; and Rebecca, James Dinkey, of Easton.
Henry Bowman, the brother John D., settled at what was known as Hassertville, and owned land on the other side of the river, opposite where his son Joseph now lives. Daniel, Adam, William, and Joseph are sons of Henry. Of the daughters of Henry, Sarah married Reuben Hagenbuch, who kept hotel for many years at Lehighton, and later kept the lock at Bowmansville. Susanna married ____ Berlin, who kept tavern near Kresgeville. Another married a Mr. Butler, of Nesquehoning. Rachel became Mrs. Jonathan Haintz, of East Penn. Mary married August Lehr, who for some years kept a tavern at Hassertsville, and Rebecca married Dr. Yarrington, of Easton.
Early American taverns were important town meeting places and were strictly supervised. Innkeepers were respectable members of the community.