Bauman is also spelled Baughman, Baumann, Boman, and Bowman.
The Goshenhoppen Church in Hereford Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania was a Union church where Lutheran and Reformed congregations shared one building. The first recorded Reformed worship service was on October 12, 1727. The congregations built a log building that was both church and schoolhouse.
Johan Dietrich Bauman and Eva Elizabeth Beil married on August 21, 1739 at the Goshenhoppen Church at Red Hill, Montgomery County (then Philadelphia County) Pennsylvania. Pastor Johan Justus Birkenstock performed the ceremony.
They first lived in Marlborough Township, Montgomery (was Philadelphia) County, Pennsylvania where they owned and operated a grist mill.
About 1755 they moved to Northampton County, Pennsylvania which is now Lower Towamensing Township, Carbon County, Pennsylvania. The History of Carbon County, Pennsylvania says the land was "near the mouth of Lizard creek, in what is now East Penn township."
Sybila married married Christopher Truby about 1760 and moved with him to Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania.
Maria married Sebastian Sebert about 1764.
Heinrich married Catherine Dreisbach about 1767.
John Dietrich died about 1762 and Elizabeth died about 1773.
Montgomery County, in southeast Pennsylvania was created on September 10, 1784, out of land that was originally part of Philadelphia County.
17th and 18th century Germans often gave children two names at baptism. The first was a saint's name. The second a secular name which is what the child was called. The saint's name was usually given to all the children of that family of the same gender. Johannes was rarely a saint's name, but Johann was.
Northampton County, Pennsylvania is on the eastern border of the state in the Lehigh Valley. It was formed in 1752 from parts of Bucks County. Easton is the county seat.
from the History of Carbon County, Pennsylvania by Frederick Charles Brenckman
The pioneer of his family in America was John Deter Bauman who is known to have purchased land near the mouth of Lizard creek, in what is now East Penn township, Carbon county, in the year 1760. He was one of the first settlers of Northampton county north of the Blue mountains. Not only did he become an extensive land owner in this portion of the county, but he was also a successful hunter and trapper, as were his descendants for several generations. He was the father of four children: Bernhard, Henry, Mary, and Sabilla.
Lehigh County, Pennsylvania was first settled about 1730 and officially constituted in 1812 with the division of Northampton County.
History of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania by Lehigh County Historical Society
Bauman Or Bowman Family John Dieter Bauman, the ancestor of this family in America, was a native of Germany and arrived at Philadelphia on October 2, 1727. He first settled in Marlboro township, Philadelphia county, where he secured 200 acres of land and owned and operated a grist-mill. In the year 1751 his name, with that of his wife, Eva Elizabeth, appears as sponsor at the baptism of a son of George Klein, in Lower Milford township.
About 1755, he removed beyond the Blue mountains, to Northampton county, to what is now Lower Towamensing township, Carbon county. Here he cleared a tract of land and lived until his death in 1762, leaving a widow and four children: Bernard, Henry, Mary, and Sabilla.
Europeans who made the voyage to America faced a difficult journey of several months.