logo

An American Family History

William Fiske and Eunice Jennings

Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
Quabbin (later called Greenwich), Hampshire County, Massachusetts
Willington, Tolland County, Connecticut
Greenwich, Hampshire County, Massachusetts was incorporated in 1749 and dissolved in 1938. It was renamed from Quabbin in 1754 .

Connecticut's first European settlers were Dutch.

William Fiske and Eunice Jennings married on November 3, 1708 in Framingham, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.

William Fiske, Jr. was born on April 20, 1709 in Watertown. Hannah Fiske Powers was born on April 20, 1712 in Quabbin..

About 1714 the family moved to Willington, Tolland County, Connecticut.

Their last two children were born in Ashford, Windham County, Connecticut. Stephen Fiske was born on September 14, 1714 and Nathan Fiske was born on February 13, 1722/23.

William died in 1750 in Willington, Connecticut.

Eunice remarried in 1754.
Watertown was settled in 1630 by English Puritans in Middlesex County, Massachusetts.

Old Style Calendar
Before 1752 the year began on Lady Day, March 25th,. Dates between January 1st and March 24th were at the end of the year. Old Style (O.S.) and New Style (N.S.) are used to indicate whether the year has been adjusted. Often both dates are used.

Framingham, Middlesex County, Massachusetts was first known as Danforth’s Farms. In 1701 the  Framingham Church was organized with the Rev. John Swift as the town's first minister. In 1706 the town hired its first schoolmaster and in 1716 the first schoolhouse was built.

 

divider

 
Bond's genealogy of Watertown is available on Kindle.

from Fiske and Fisk Family by Frederick Pierce

William Fiske (Nathan, Nathan, Nathaniel, William, Robert, Simon, Simon, William, Symond), b. Wat. Nov. 10, 1678; m. Nov. 3, 1708, Eunice Jennings of Fram., b. 1686, dau. of Stephen [Jennings], who settled in Framingham, Mass., in 1680, and who m. Jan. 1, 1685, in Sudbury, Hannah Stanhope. After William's death his widow m. Jan. 3, 1754, William Johnson. He d. Mar. 16, 1759; res. Willington, Conn.

Ch.:
Lydia, b. Feb. 14, 1756;
Sarah, b. July 19, 1757;
Benjamin, b. Dec. 12, 1758;
Abigail, b. May 12, 1760;
Eunice, b. May 8, 1762;
Mehitable, b. June 3, 1764.

Wm. was b. in Watertown and m. his wife in Framingham. During the year 1715 he removed to Connecticut and settled in Ashford. May, 1716, he sold to Thomas Orcutt, "the land where the house he now occupies is situated." In the town records of Ashford, which by the way are in a very bad condition, his wife Eunice is called "Unis." He d. Nov. 8, 1750; res. Watertown, Mass., and Willington, Conn.

Quabbin was also called Quaker Plain and Narragansett. Quabbin is now under the Quabbin reservoir.
 
 
Estate inventories give us a glance into the home life of Colonial Americans.

The New England Historical and Genealogical Register by Henry Fritz-Gilbert Waters, New England Historic Genealogical Society

Fiske, William, b. 10 Nov. 1678, son of Lieut. Nathan and Elizabeth (Fry) Fiske, m. 3 Nov. 1708, Eunice, b. 1686, dan. of Stephen and Hannah (Stanhope) Jennings, of Framingham, and had, William and Stephen, both bapt. 17 April, 1715. (Bond's Watertown.)

The mutilated records of Ashford, Conn., contain the following:
William, son of William Fisk by Unis his wife, born 20 Apr. 1709.
Hannah, dau. of same, born 20 Apr. 1712.
Stephen, son of same, born 14 Sep. 1714.
Nathan, son of same, born 13 Feb. 1722-8.

William Fisk appeared at Ashford as early as May, 1716, when he sold to Thomas Orcutt "the land where the house he now occupies is situated."

Boston
1756
In 1662 Hampshire County, Massachusetts was formed from the western section of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Parts of the original county became Hampden, Franklin, Berkshire and Worcester Counties.
     

 

Bauman & Dreisbach
 
 
 

©Roberta Tuller 2017
tuller.roberta@gmail.com