logo

An American Family History

Hannah Jennings Walker

Early American taverns were important town meeting places and were strictly supervised. Innkeepers were respectable members of the community.

Hannah Jennings Walker was born on  March 11, 1690 in Framingham, Middlesex County, Massachusetts. She was the daughter of Stephen Jennings and Hannah Stanhope.

She married Samuel Walker on November 3, 1715 in Sudbury.  Samuel Walker was born on September 24, 1689 in Sudbury. His parents were Thomas Walker and Martha Howe. Martha's brother, David How, was the founder of How's Tavern in Sudbury.

Hannah and Samuel's children included:
Mary Walker Stratton (June 19, 1716, married Samuel Stratton),
Samuel Walker (June 4, 1718),
Hannah Walker (April 18, 1720-February 27, 172o/21),
Azariah Walker (June 24, 1722, married Abigail Seaver) and
Lois Walker (1726).

In 1725 Samuel was on Captain Isaac Clark's muster roll during Father Ralle's War which from 1722 to 1726.
Children of Stephen Jennings
and Hannah Stanhope
  • Eunice Jennings Fiske Johnson
  • Stephen Jennings
  • Hannah Jennings Walker
  • Martha Jennings Dedman
  • Sarah Jennings
  • Old Style Calendar
    Before 1752 the year began on Lady Day, March 25th,. Dates between January 1st and March 24th were at the end of the year. Old Style (O.S.) and New Style (N.S.) are used to indicate whether the year has been adjusted. Often both dates are used.

    Spellings of Jennings: Gennings, Jennens, Jennings, Jenyns
     

    divider

     

    Sudbury in Middlesex County, Massachusetts was incorporated in 1639 with a population of 476. A major battle of the King Philip's War was fought in Sudbury in 1676.

    The History of Sudbury, Massachusetts. 1638-1889 by Alfred Sereno Hudson

    Walker. Thomas Walker is mentioned as teacher of a free school in Sudbury in 1664. (See page 139.) He is also mentioned as an Innholder in 1672. Thomas, probably the same one, had eight children, among whom were Mary and Thomas.

    Mary married Rev. James Sherman;
    and Thomas [Walker], born May 22, 1664, bought sixty acres of land, April 10, 1688, of Gookin and How, in the territory now Framingham, and built a house near Rice's End. He married Martha, daughter of Samuel How, Dec. 7, 1687, and had ten children, among whom was

    Samuel [Walker], born Sept. 24, 1689, who married, Nov. 3, 1715, Hannah Jennings. Samuel and Hannah had five children, among whom was Azariah, born June 24, 1722, who married Abigail Seaver.

    Framingham, Middlesex County, Massachusetts was first known as Danforth’s Farms. In 1701 the  Framingham Church was organized with the Rev. John Swift as the town's first minister. In 1706 the town hired its first schoolmaster and in 1716 the first schoolhouse was built.