logo

An American Family History

Stephen Jennings, Jr.

Spellings of Jennings: Gennings, Jennens, Jennings, Jenyns
Estate inventories give us a glance into the home life of Colonial Americans.

Stephen Jennings, Jr. was born about 1688 in Sudbury, Middlesex County, Massachusetts. His parents were Stephen Jennings and Hannah Stanhope.

In 1701 he was one of the original members of the First Church. He was only 13, but his father, had died before the church was formed in 1701.

He married Susannah Bigelow on June 9, 1715. Susannah was the daughter of Daniel Bigelow and Abigail Pratt. She was born on March 4, 1695/96.

Their children were:
Stephen Jennings (1716, married Mary Fessenden),
Daniel Jennings (February 16, 1717/18, married Elizabeth Cozzens),
Ephraim Jennings (May 27, 1720, married Sybilla Rice), 
Susannah Jennings Rice (May 9, 1722, married December 2, 1742 Bezaleel Rice),
Abigail Jennings Manard (August 28, 1724, married May  29, 1746, Joseph Manard) and
Joseph Jennings (March  7, 1726/27, married Rachel Drury).

Susannah was admitted to the church March 3, 1722 and Stephen [the son] was admitted in February, 1749. 

He died on October 8, 1763 and Susannah died on October 24, 1768.


Children of Stephen Jennings
and Hannah Stanhope
  • Eunice Jennings Fiske Johnson
  • Stephen Jennings
  • Hannah Jennings Walker
  • Martha Jennings Dedman
  • Sarah Jennings
  • Old Style Calendar
    Before 1752 the year began on Lady Day, March 25th,. Dates between January 1st and March 24th were at the end of the year. Old Style (O.S.) and New Style (N.S.) are used to indicate whether the year has been adjusted. Often both dates are used.

    Sudbury in Middlesex County, Massachusetts was incorporated in 1639 with a population of 476. A major battle of the King Philip's War was fought in Sudbury in 1676.

     

    divider

     
     

    from A Genealogical History of the Jennings Families in England and America by William Henry Jennings

    Stephen Jennings (Stephen 2813), son of Stephen & Hannah (Stanhope) Jennings. Born 1688 (?) in Framingham, Mass. Died Oct. 8,1763

    Mar. June 9, 1715 Susannah Bigelow, dau. of Daniel & and Abigail (Pratt) Bigelow. Born Mch. 4, 1695-6 Died Oct. 24, 1768

    Their children: 
    2819 Stephen b. Sep. 6, 1716 m. Mary Fessenden
    2820 Daniel b. Feb. 16, 1717-8 m. Elizabeth Cozzens
    2821 Ephraim b. May 27, 1720 in. Sybilla Rice
    2822 Susannah b. May 9, 1722 m. Dec. 2, 1742, Bezaleel Rice
    2823 Abigail b. Aug. 28, 1724 m. May 29, 1746, Joseph Manard.
    2824 Joseph b. Mch. 7, 1726-7 m. Rachel Drury

    He was admitted to the church in February, 1749. His wife was admitted to the church March 3, 1722.

     
     
    Family Memorials, Volume 1 by Henry Bond

    Daniel Bigelow, a tailor, m. Abial. dr. of Thomas Pratt, Sen., of Fram., where he settled after a short residence at Sherburne. His estate was adm. by his wid. 1715.

     
     

    from Genealogy of the Bigelow family of America by Gilman Bigelow Howe

    Susanna [Bigelow], b. March 4, 1696; m. June 9, 1715, Stephen Jennings, son of Stephen and Hannah (Stanhope) Jennings, who was born 1688. They lived in Framingham, where she was admitted to the church March 3, 1722. He was admitted to the church Feb., 1749. She died Oct. 24, 1768. He died Oct. 8, 1703, leaving a family, viz.:
    i. Stephen, b. Sept. 6, 1716; m. July 5, 1737, m. Mary Fessenden; lived in Sudbury; he d. Jan. 6, 1798.
    ii. Daniel, 6. Feb. 16, 1718; m. 1737, Elizabeth Cozzens; lived in Walpole.
    iii. Ephraim, 6. May 27, 1720; To. 1743, Sybilla Rice; lived in Natick.
    iv. Susanna, 6. May 19, 1722; To. Bezaleel Rice; lived in Framingham. v. Abigail, b. Aug. 28, 1724; m. Joseph Maynard; lived in Framingham.
    vi. Joseph, 6. March 7, 1727; m. Rachel Drury; lived in Framingham. They had seven children, one of whom (Susanna) married Nathaniel Biglow of Weston.

    Framingham, Middlesex County, Massachusetts was first known as Danforth’s Farms. In 1701 the  Framingham Church was organized with the Rev. John Swift as the town's first minister. In 1706 the town hired its first schoolmaster and in 1716 the first schoolhouse was built.
         
         

     

    Bauman & Dreisbach
     
     
     

    ©Roberta Tuller 2017
    tuller.roberta@gmail.com