An American Family History


The George Green Family

Warrior Ridge
Warrior Ridge

Baltimore County, Maryland was founded in 1659 and included most of northeastern Maryland. The original county included parts of Cecil, Frederick, Harford, Carroll, and Baltimore Counties.

George Green married Sarah Musgrove. they lived in Baltimore County, Maryland.

Thomas Green (1740, married Helen Wright),
George Green (1746)
Elisha Green (1757, married Priscilla Chamberlain),
Charles Green
Isaac Green (1742, married Elizabeth Ricketts),
Clement Green, and
Millicent Green (1761, married Edward Ricketts).

Thomas, Isaac, George, Elisha, and Clement settled on the waters of Standing Stone Creek some time between 1780 and 1785. George and Elisha brought enslaved people with them.

He bought Green Mount which was 422 acres and 62 perches in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania on December 3, 1784. It was bounded by land of Matthew Carswell, Jeremiah Ricketts, Joseph Long. He built a mill there. He brought enslaved people to Pennsylvania.

In 1784 Thomas Long applied for a warrant for 300 acres on Login's Branch joining James Dearmond and George Green.

In 1788 Clement Green was in Little's company.

On July 4, 1795 his children sold a tract of 400 acres on Warrior Ridge to Edward Ricketts. It was surveyed for George Green on December 3, 1784.Politically Thomas Green was a Whig and served as tax collector in 1790. He also was a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal church.

Slavery is an immoral system of forced labor where people are treated as property to be bought and sold. It was legal in the American Colonies and the United States until the Civil War.
A grist mill is a building where a miller grinds gain into flour.

Thomas Green was born about 1740 in Maryland.

He married Helen Wright.

Thomas settled in the southern end of Hare's Valley on 254 acres in 1776. He built a grist mill, about 1785 on the Mountain Branch of Three Springs Creek.

Their children included:
George Green (1768, married Isabelle Skinner)
Susan Green
Thomas Green (1775, married Margaret Campbell)
Isaac Green
Nancy Green
Mary Green (1774)
Abraham Green
Elizabeth Green Murray (1764)
Elisha Green
John Green (1781)
Rebecca Green (married Joseph Campbell), and
Caleb Green

Helen died about 1794. After her death, Thomas married Sarah Horton.

Thomas died in 1816.

Pennsylvania is one of the 13 original states and was originally founded in 1681 as a result of a royal land grant to William Penn, the son of the state's namesake.


George Green, Jr.

George built a grist-mill.


Charles Green married Mary.

Malinda Green (1775)

They settled on Stone Creek and later moved to Ohio.



Isaac Green (1742) married Elizabeth Ricketts, daughter of Benjamin Ricketts.

Aquilla Green (1769),
Elijah Green (1772, married Malinda Green),
Sarah Green (1774),
Nathaniel Green (1776, married Ruth Johnson),
Thomas Green (1778),
Elisha Green (1781),
Robert Green (1783),
John Green (1784),
Joshua Green (1787)
Amelia Green (1790, married Thomas Johnson).

Isaac served in the Revolutionary War in the 3rd Rgt. of the Maryland Line.

He owned a farm on Warrior's Ridge in Barree Township.

The American Revolution was ended in 1783 when the Treaty of Paris was signed.

Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania was established on September 20, 1787 as a large region of Central Pennsylvania. It was previously part of Bedford County and the earlier Cumberland Region.

Elisha Green was born about 1757.

He married Priscilla Chamberlain.

Charles Green ( 1781, married Jemima Ricketts),
Ruth Green (1786, married James Stewart)
Susannah Green (1788, married James Shorthill),
George Green (1791),
Rebecca Green (1793),
Pleasant Green (1795),
Elijah Green (married Jane Stewart),
Sarah Green (1800, married Nicholas Decker),
Elizabeth Green (1802, married John Crownover).

The family lived on the west side of Stone Creek. three-quarters of a mile north of Donation.

Priscilla died on August 18, 1828.

His second wife was Margaret Millier Stewart, widow of Robert Stewart of Manor Hill.

Elisha died on April 17, 1844.

Margaret died on October 3, 1865.

  Clement Green (1758)  
  Millicent Green (1761) married Edward Ricketts.  







From Commerative Biographical Encyclopedia of The Juniata Valley

...Thomas [Green], was born in Baltimore county, Md., in 1740, and became a farmer in Maryland.

In 1784 he removed to Springfield township, Bedford, now Huntingdon county, and settled on a tract of 351 acres, on part of which Saltillo now stands. After clearing the land he erected a house and barn, a saw-mill, and sometime between the years 1785 and 1797 a grist-mill. In addition an extensive orchard was planted, and he engaged in distilling various liquors.

At his death he owned 1,800 acres of land, which were divided among his children.

He was married in 1703 to Helen Wright, a native of Maryland, but of Irish descent. Their children were: George; Susan; Thomas; Isaac; Nancy; Mary; Abraham; Elizabeth; Elisha; John; Rebecca; and Caleb, who was born in Pennsylvania, USA.

Mr. Greene was a Whig. He served as tax collector in 1790. He was in fellowship with the Methodist Episcopal church. He died in 1816, and was buried, as was also his wife and children, on the farm in the apple orchard, burial places being as yet private; this place is reserved forever as a cemetery.

John, Abraham and William Wright, brothers of Helen Wright, wife of Thomas Greene, settled in Clay township, Huntingdon county. John was a squatter on the Three Springs tract of land, warranted by James Ralph, of Philadelphia, in 1762. Wishing to purchase part of the land, Mr. Wright set out on horseback for Philadelphia, but in the meantime Col. George Ashman, who had settled on the same tract of land, was apprised of Wright's intention, and by hard riding on one of his best horses reached Philadelphia in advance of Wright, and bought the whole tract of fifteen or eighteen hundred acres of Mr. Ralph. Mr. Wright then bought a large tract of land in Trough Creek valley, where many of his descendants, still live.

Alcohol played a significant role in the daily lives of colonists; even children. They feared polluted water and believed in alcohol's nourishing and medicinal properties.


from History of Cambria County, Pennsylvania, Volume 2 by Henry Wilson Storey

George Green, the founder of this branch of the family in America, was born in England, came to this country some time before 1740 and settled in Maryland, near the city of Baltimore and in the county of that name. He married and had several children, the eldest of whom, Thomas Green, born 1740, led the way of the family into the Province of Pennsylvania. He was a worthy pioneer and eventually became a man of large property and influence. . .

Elizabeth Green, eldest daughter of the pioneer, married a Mr. Murray, and died March 10, 1789. She was buried in the apple orchard, and thus originated the oldest burial ground in the south part of Huntingdon county.

Soon after 1794 Helen Wright Green died, and she was buried in the same place. After her death Thomas Green married Sarah Horton, but no children were born of his second marriage.

The old pioneer himself died March 11, 1816, and in his will made ample provision for all his surviving children, dividing among them his lands to the extent of eighteen hundred acres.

The children of Thomas and Helen (Wright) Green were: Elizabeth, born 1764, died March 10, 1789; married Mr. Murray, Susan, George, born February, 1768; married about 1797, Isabelle Skinner, and had seven children. Mary, born November 7, 1774. Thomas, born 1775, married, about 1801, Margaret Campbell. Abraham. Isaac. John, born 1781. Nancy. Rebecca, married Joseph Campbell, and removed to Ohio. Elisha. Caleb, born in Pennsylvania after 1784.

The other children of George Green, brothers and sisters of Thomas Green, who came to Pennsylvania at the time previously mentioned, settled north of the lands where Thomas made his home and along Warrior's Ridge, in Oneida township, Huntingdon county.

In Maryland those of them who had married were slave owners, and George and Elisha brought their bondmen to Pennsylvania. George built a mill on the site where now stands Cornpropt's Mill. He owned many slaves, some of whom were sold, while others were set free when slavery in Pennsylvania was abolished. One of these Negroes afterward lived many years in Huntingdon and always called himself "Thomas Green." After a time George Green sold his mill property and removed to near Sunbury, on the Susquehanna river.

Charles Green settled on Stone creek, where the old Rebecca Forge was afterward built, and still later went to Ohio to live.

Isaac Green owned the farm on the Ridge.

Millie Green married a Mr. Ricketts, and at her death was buried on the Ridge, where her brothers Clement and Isaac also were buried.

Elisha Green occupied a tract of land on the west side of Stone creek, three-quarters of a mile north of the town called Donation. George Green, son of Elisha, owned this land in 1870.

George Green, third child and eldest son of Thomas and Helen (Wright) Green, grandson of George Green, of Maryland, and grandfather of Wesley Green, of Johnstown, married, about 1797, Isabella Skinner, and had seven children: Matilda, Lemuel, George Morris, father of Wesley Green, Elisha, Sarah Ann, Susan and Archer Green.


from History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania

Elisha Greene, a native of Maryland, became a citizen of Oneida about 1800. He settled first on Warrior's Ridge, but not liking the location made his home in the valley near Donation, where he had a fine sugar-camp, which proved very useful to him in early times.

He died in April, 1863, on the property now owned by his grandson, Barton Greene. Of his sons,

Charles lived and died in the neighborhood. He was a carpenter by trade, and made many of the arcs which floated down the Juniata. The second son,

George, lived on the homestead until his death in 1870, aged seventy-eight years. He was the father of Foster, Barton, and Charles Greene, the former removing to Illinois, and Barton being a merchant at Huntingdon.

Elijah, the third son, also died on part of the homestead about 1847. For many years previous he was a helpless invalid. His sons were Robert Greene, of Huntingdon; John, of Miller township; Elisha and James, of Oneida.

The daughters of Elisha Greene married James Stewart, Nicholas Decker, and the father of Dr. J. G. Camp, who lives on a part of the Greene tract, in the northern part of Oneida.