An American Family History

McMurtrie Family

  also spelled McMutrie, McMoultrie, McMootrey  
Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania was established on September 20, 1787 as a large region of Central Pennsylvania. It was previously part of Bedford County and the earlier Cumberland Region.

David McMurtrie, Sr., was born about 1721 in Scotland.

David came to America in 1735 and first lived in Philadelphia.

He married Margery Fisher on March 18, 1754 at Cooper's Ferry which is now a part of Philadelphia.

David and Margery's children probably included:

William McMurtrie (1757),
David McMurtrie (1764),
Charles McMurtrie (1766), and
James McMurtrie (1768).

David moved to Shaver's Creek in a part of Bedford County, Pennsylvania which is now in Huntingdon County.

When David McMurtrie came to Huntingdon in 1776-77 one of the few houses was a Tarvern kept by Mr. Ludwig Sills. The first settlers in Huntingdon were Benjamin Elliott, father-in-law of David McMurtrie, Abraham Haynes, Frank Cluggage, Mr. Ashbrough and Ludwig Sills. (from Souvenir Historical Book by the Huntingdon County Historical Society)

David died in 1782.


Pennsylvania is one of the 13 original states and was originally founded in 1681 as a result of a royal land grant to William Penn, the son of the state's namesake.


David McMurtrie, Jr., was born about 1764 in Philadelphia.

He married Martha Elliott, daughter of Benjamin Elliott and Mary Carpenter.

David and Martha's children probably included:

James E. McMurtrie,
Anna McMurtrie (married,Edward Patton and Thomas Jackson),
Mary McMurtrie (married James Gwin),
Ellen McMurtrie (1802 married, Matthew Duncan Gregg),
David McMurtrie (married Martha McConnell)
Benjamin E. McMurtrie (married Sarah H. Orbison, and Mrs. Ellen Patton Dorsey) 
Margery McMurtrie; 
Robert Allison McMurtrie (married Sarah Briscoe and Mrs. Maria Dennison)
Martha McMurtrie (married, James McCahen)
William McMurtrie (married, Margaret Whittaker)

David was a member of the General Assembly of Pennsylvania in 1802.

David kept a store in Logan Township as early as 1805.