North Ten Mile Baptist Church in Washington County, Pennsylvania is on a rural road in Amwell Township between Lone Pine and Ten Mile.
The New England Meetinghouse was the only municipal building in a town. Both worship and civil meetings were held there. It was customary for men and women to sit separately and the town chose a committee once a year to assign seats according to what was paid, age, and dignity.
The families who settled on the waters of Ten-Mile Creek in 1768 were Baptists from Virginia. The Suttons and others settled a little later in what is now Fayette County. Several of the Suttons were Baptist ministers, and they organized a church called Great Bethel at what is now Uniontown in 1770. Two years later (1772) a church was constituted in Amwell
From the original minutes
About the first of May, 1783, our ministering Brother, David Sutton (1732-1812) made us a visit from the Jerseys, and the church gave him an invitation to come and settle amongst us which he accepted, and the next fall he moved out here with his family.
Mr. Sutton remained as pastor till his death in 1812. At that time he resided in West Bethlehem.
The first meeting-house was built in 1786. It was of logs, and was used until 1794. It was situated on the waters of Ten-Mile, on the tract of land called in the survey "Big Rocks." On this land the society built a hewed log house, which was occupied many years.
Baptist churches were found in early colonial settlements and grew out of the English Separatist movement and the doctrine of John Smyth who rejected infant baptism.
Mister ( Mr.) was derived from master and Mrs. and Miss were derived from mistress. They indicated people of superior social status in colonial America.
Shays's Rebellion was an armed uprising in Massachusetts in 1786 and 1787. Daniel Shays led four thousand rebels (Shaysites) in rising up against perceived economic injustices.
Daniel Shays and Job Shattuck
from Bickerstaff's Boston Almanack
Pennsylvania is one of the 13 original states and was originally founded in 1681 as a result of a royal land grant to William Penn, the son of the state's namesake.