logo

An American Family History

Excerpts from The History of German Township

 
Springfield
Springfield, Ohio - 1846 - Henry Howe
 
The indigenous population in the United States before the arrival of Europeans included many distinct tribes and languages
American pioneers migrated west to settle areas not previously inhabited by European Americans.

Sixty-three years ago the township of German was formed. . .The township then comprised besides its present land, portions of Moorefield Township, which, in the year 1835, were taken from it leaving it with the present territory. It is in the northern tier of townships, and west but one, lying south of Champaign County, west of Moorefield Township, north of Springfield and Bethel, and east of Pike Township. The surface in general is an elevated table-land, beautiful and very fertile valleys extend from one-half to three-quarters of a mile on either side of Mad River, and Chapman's Creek. . .

The people are moral, industrious and frugal, being descendants of that plain and unassuming class peopling this region, which began to be settled at the close of the eighteenth century. . . coming to this region when it was a dense wilderness inhabited only by the red men. How great must have been the change witnessed by this pioneer woman! She often rehearsed the happenings of the days of yore to later generations, who frequently gathered around her blazing fire during the long winter evenings, to hear her interesting narratives of the past. She had often slept in the cornfield for fear of the Indians, and remembered distinctly the "block-houses" that stood up and down the valley. By her at one of the pioneer meetings held just prior to her death, was exhibited cotton fabrics she had woven and colored; showed calico she had purchased the first time she was ever in Urbana, when the village had but one store kept by John Reynolds, giving 75 cents per yard for it. Another piece of calico her mother had bought of a peddler-at $1 per yard, and still another scrap that they had gotten of the Indians. . . .

The settlement was increased in 1801 by the coming of Jacob Kiblinger, a native of Virginia, who purchased eighty acres of land and returned to his native State, and, between the years of 1801 and 1805, made four trips to this vicinity, moving several families of the Kiblingers and Pences.

Among the latter was a John Pence. These all became permanent settlers in German Township. Jacob Kiblinger, Sr., father of the one above given, erected the first saw and hemp mill, located on Mad River near where the "Eagle Mills" now stand, in this section of the country. . .

The timber here was very thick and exceedingly large, and it is said that Jones on the occasion of felling some trees just previous to erecting his cabin, spent one entire night in chopping to fell one mammoth walnut tree, it being so large that he was compelled to cut steps into it to enable him to reach it with the ax. What would our walnut tree men of to-day pay for such timber? And this timber was so thick that when felled one could walk over acres of ground without stepping off of logs, then so plentiful, thousands of feet being burned to get it out of the way. Now how scarce and costly.

The rude cabin was here built of small logs with its clapboard roof and weight-poles, and the split puncheon door swung on its hinges of wood, with the wooden latch and string, and the chimney of sticks and mud, and the greased paper window was soon ready for occupancy. . .

A blockhouse or garrison house is a small, isolated fort. The typical blockhouse was two stories with the second story overhanging the first. It had small openings to allow residents to shoot attackers without being exposed.

Most Americans were farmers in the 18th and early 19th centuries.

The first Europeans settled in the Northwest Territory in 1788. The Miami Company managed settlement in the southwest and the Connecticut Land Company managed settlement in the northeast. Migrants came from New York and New England. Ohio was admitted to the Union as the 17th state on March 1, 1803.

Lutherans are Protestants who follow Martin Luther's religious teachings, especially the doctrine of justification by faith alone.
Early American taverns were important town meeting places and were strictly supervised. Innkeepers were respectable members of the community.

Settlers often built log cabins as their first homes.

The Civil War had more casualties than any other American war. Disease and infection were the biggest killers.

The settlement was augmented in 1805, by the families of Philip Kizer, George Glass, Daniel Gentis and Abraham Zerkle (Circle). [Philip] Kizer settled east of Tremont, having come from Virginia; served in the War of 1812 as Captain. Zerkle was from Virginia, and entered land in Section 9. The Weavers, William and Christopher, were very early settlers in this locality, coming about the beginning of this century.

William Haller, from personal knowledge of several of these pioneers, speaks of them as follows:

William Ross was of medium stature, and had wonderful strength and endurance. Charles Rector was larger, was strong and very hardy. These men and families were fitted for a new country life, and were valuable Christian men. Weaver was also a man of fine stature, an upright and Christian man.

At the beginning of the century, when most of the above-named pioneers entered this region, it was a dense wilderness, inhabited only by the red man, and roamed over by wild beasts. The Indians were very numerous and quite hostile, so that the settlers lived in constant dread of them, many times being compelled to collect together for mutual protection. In 1806, during one of their outbreaks, all of the whites for miles around collected at the old block-house at Boston, when Col. Ward and Simon Kenton and other prominent men made a treaty with them. John Ross remembered well Tecumseh and other noted chiefs, and the oratory displayed by the former at this conference. False alarms were occasionally given, creating sometimes scenes of great laughter.

The pioneers of 1806 were Daniel Kiblinger and Thomas Nauman [Nawman], Jr., the former hailing from that State, in after years designated as the "Mother of Presidents," whence so many of our pioneers came. Nauman too was a native of Virginia, and came to this vicinity on horseback and made his home with Matthias Friermood (father-in-law of John Baker and Martin Baker), who was a settler at a still earlier date.

In 1809, Thomas Nauman, Sr., and family, settled in the township. He was one of the patriotic men who, just prior to the war of 1776, assisted in throwing overboard the cargo of tea in Boston Harbor. In 1810, Felty [Schneider] Snyder, of Virginia, effected a settlement in this locality. [Thomas' son Thomas Nawman married Henry Baker's daughter Catherine.]

Benjamin Morris, from the same State, came the year previous, and, in 1811, entered 160 acres in the southern part of the township. Served in the War of 1812. He died at an advanced age.

Samuel Baker and John Keller were added to the colony in the year 1811. And the next year, Rudolph Baker and Benjamin Frantz, the former from Virginia, and the latter from Pennsylvania. Frantz was another who served his country in the war then waged by the mother country. Virginia continued to send forth her sons,

Samuel Meranda emigrating in 1814, purchasing a tract of land where Jefferson Meranda now lives, and, in 1816 came Matthias Rust (father of Jacob Rust) and Frederick Michael Jacob Maggart, his brother David, and Philip Goodman, are also numbered with the pioneers of the township.

At a very early day, Jeremiah Simms and family came to this section of the county, but the country was so new and thinly settled that they returned to Virginia and again came out in about 1806, and entered a quarter-section of land in the southern part of the township. He was a valuable man, being a blacksmith by trade, a mechanic then greatly needed in the settlement. One of his sons, Jeremiah, Jr., was a local preacher, and preached the first sermon proclaimed in Rector Church over the remains of Catharine Peck in the year 1822.

George Welchaus and William Enoch, the former of Pennsylvania, and the latter from Virginia, settled here in 1808. [William Enoch's son, William, married Mary Branstetter.]

John Kemp, of Virginia, and Thomas Hays, a native of Kentucky, came in 1809, the former settling in Section 14, and the latter in Section 25. In 1812, Oden Hays, a son of the one mentioned, was lost in a snow storm and afterward found dead in a hollow log in Section 32. Joseph Perrin came from Virginia in 1810.

Jacob, Henry and Martin Baker were all early settlers of German Township, and natives of Virginia. Jacob settled on Section 14, died in 1821, and is buried in the Lawrenceville Cemetery. His sons Philip, Henry, Jacob, Martin, John and Samuel, as well as three daughters, resided in this township.

Andrew and Emanuel Circle settled in the southeastern part of German, on Mad River, at an early day. They were natives of Virginia, and have descendants yet living in the township.

Benjamin Ream, of Pennsylvania, settled with his family in Section 32 after the War of 1812, in which he served; and, in 1816, John Lorton and his wife Rachel, natives of Kentucky, settled in this part of Clark County; also Matthias Staley, of Maryland, who was a carpenter by trade, came in 1820, and each of these last-mentioned pioneer families have descendants now residents of German Township.

Among others who we may well call pioneers are Adam Rockel and Philip Kern, natives of Pennsylvania, who settled in Section 9 in 1822. Mr. Rockle married Polly Baker, daughter of Philip Baker, who had five children born to her, viz., Peter, Henry, William, Harriet and Mary. Mr. Rockle and wife yet reside at the old homestead, and are well known and respected. Mr. Kern married the sister of Mr. Rockle, and their son Adam now lives upon the old place.

John Beamer came from Virginia in 1816, settling on Section 13. His wife was Elizabeth Mulholland, and they had three children, viz., Thomas, Valentine and Eliza, the latter now the wife of Dr. McLaughlin, of Tremont, being the only survivor. Mr. Beamer and wife died on the old homestead.

Another family well worthy of mention is that of William Ballentine, a native of Ireland, who came to Ohio in 1831, and, in 1832, settled in German Township, where he died in 1851. His wife was Nancy Nail, also a native of Ireland, where they were married and of which union were born twelve children, five of whom are living, viz., Robert, Margaret, David, Elizabeth and James V. . .

Many of the pioneer families as, doubtless, has been observed, were of the Methodist persuasion, yet there were some of other denominations, and at fast it was expedient to unite, irrespective of sect, and worship harmoniously together. Dwellings were freely opened, and those little bands would worship together until each acquired sufficient strength, then societies were organized. For many years the houses of Jerry Simms, William Ross, Charles Rector and others were the preaching-places, schoolhouses being sometimes used.

The Methodists of the locality built in 1820, a log church or meeting house just over the line in Champaign County, where persons for miles around worshiped. While this church was out of our territory, most of the early settlers of the township were closely identified with it, and in justice to the few pioneers now living, and to their descendants, many of whom now attend services there, this mention is made. The land upon which it was built was donated by Charles Rector, whose name it adopted. Conway Rector was the prime mover in its construction. . . Several of the first families belonging to this organization were those of Peter Sintz, Sr., Jerry Simms, Benjamin Morris, Thomas Hays, the Leffels and Samuel Meranda.

The Lutheran and Reformed people of the township built a Union church at Lawrenceville about the year 1821. They continued to worship in this jointly built church until 1844. In a year or two the Lutherans built the Mount Zion Church and there worshiped. Among the early Lutheran ministers were Revs. Heinicke, Philip Pence and Klapp, and those of the Reformed Revs. Peter Dechant and John Pence.

The latter is still living, being a resident of the township and is strictly one of the pioneer preachers. He has passed his fourscore years and is yet hale and hearty, though more than a half century ago he rode the circuit of the church embracing a distance of forty miles in either direction, and has ever since served this people in his calling. In 1827 or 1828, Mr. Pence commenced occasional preaching at the house of Widow Caffelt, and out of this grew the Jerusalem Congregation, a church having been built in 1832. This was a hewed-log building, which gave way to the present brick in 1853.

The pioneers gave early attention to the training and education of their children, for as early as 1803, a schoolhouse was built on the Ross farm. Peter Oliver, a Kentuckian, was the schoolmaster of that day. He was succeeded by William Nicholson, who was later known as the first singing teacher in the township. In the early history of the township, the schools were carried on by subscription, which schools continued in vogue for many years, despite the several school laws passed looking to the establishment of the common school system. However, the educational interests of the township have always received that attention from the people that their importance demanded, and were early advanced to a flourishing condition. . .

At this date, the deserted frame structures of former large distilleries standing on the banks of Mad River, evidence the early activity and later decadence of that traffic in this vicinity. Prior to 1810, Charles Rector built a small distillery at the mouth of Storm's Creek. Later he put up a grist and saw mill near by. Chapman erected the first grist-mill in the township, on the stream bearing his name. Philip Kizer built a mill on Mad River in 1810, and later added a still. Messrs. Kiblinger & Kneisley built a mammoth distillery, grist and saw mill on Mad River near Tremont in 1839, the deserted remains of which loom up to the approaching traveler reminding him of the "haunted house of legends old."

About the year 1808, Jacob Kiblinger (son of Jacob Daniel Kiblinger) built a saw and hemp mill in Section 8, upon Mad River, which were used for many years, and, about 1820, Adam and Daniel Kiblinger and Ira Paige built a grist-mill at the same point, which they operated until 1832, when Merriweather & Clark bought it, the former remaining as proprietor until about 1837, when he sold it to Adam Baker. . .

At an early day, a small saw and grist mill was operated in Section 23, upon Chapman's Creek, in the northern part of the township, and, about twenty years ago, Jacob Dibert erected a large flouring-mill upon the same site, which he operated until the spring of 1881, when he leased it to Blose & Weaver. Many other mills and distilleries were built and run upon the streams of German Township, which have long since been abandoned or removed.

In 1836, upon the site of the Seitz Mill at Tremont, there was a small carding machine, and that year John Ross erected a small distillery, both kind of neighborhood affairs. About these had clustered several families. Ross owned land there and began to sell small lots, and shortly the whole gave a village-like appearance. Further lots were sold and soon a survey was made and a village platted. The plat was recorded in 1838. This became the village of Clarksburg. In 1836-37, the Rosses, John and William, kept a store (in the dry goods line) on the Carter corner. In 1837, a hotel, or tavern in those days, was opened by John Hupp, the Rosses retiring. Where now stands the Hotel Fennimore stood a one-story frame building almost at right angles with the street occupied by William McKinley, who boarded Elias Darnall, the schoolmaster, William Ross the Clerk, John Ballantine the Constable, then as busy as any Sheriff, and Dr. A. C. McLaughlin the physician, busy too, the place being dead ripe for a doctor. Oh! yes, we must not forget Gabriel Albin the carpenter, who constituted one of the boarders. One door east of the boarding-house, McKinley had a dry goods store, and on the opposite side was the blacksmith shop of Elias Heller. This was Tremont in 1836-37. The post office was established there in 1839, with Dr. McLaughlin as Postmaster. The name was then changed to Tremont, there being another town in the State of the name of Clarksburg. Benjamin Turman made an addition to the town in 1840. Several additions have since been made. To-day this is a flourishing little village, beautifully located in the Mad River Valley, having a population of about three hundred.

It has two good church buildings that would be a credit to any city, and several fine stores; three blacksmith-shops and as many carriage shops. A steam saw-mill and a mammoth grist-mill, four stories high, in which are three sets of buhrs-two wheat and one corn-having a capacity of making ten barrels of flour per day. This mill was erected at a cost of $5,000, and is operated by Andrew Seitz. The village has also a good hotel, and the proprietor, John Fennimore, has the happy faculty of making his guests feel at home. The school of the village is held in a substantial two-story brick building, and is in District No. 3. The number of scholars in attendance, in 1880, were ninety-nine, sixty-four in the lower room, taught by Alfred Blose, and thirty-five in the upper room taught by J. E. Smiley. Prior to 1838, the Methodists worshiped at Rector Church, and in that year they erected a brick building, which, was replaced by the present fine edifice in 1880. It is a large one-story building in the shape of a letter T, with a tall spire, containing a sweet-toned bell taken from the old church. In style, of Gothic architecture. The auditorium will seat 450 people. It has a reed organ. The church is nicely frescoed, and heated throughout by hot air furnaces. The dedicatory sermon was preached April 18, 1880, by Dr. Payne, President of the Ohio Wesleyan University. The minister in charge is Rev. McHugh. The cost of the building was about $10,500. The German Reformed Church was organized in 1863, under the administration of Rev. Jesse Richards. The present building was erected in 1865, at a cost of about $4,000. While the new church was building, the congregation returned to worship in the old log structure which they first used, and had abandoned forty years before. This is an incident seldom or never occurring in the annals of church history. It stands on a hill overlooking the village. Present membership about one hundred and twenty-five. At this church is a regularly laid out grave-yard.

Besides those cemeteries mentioned, the one at the German Reformed Church at Lawrenceville is one of the earliest burial places in the township, and has always been used by all who desired to bury there. It is in good repair and has many handsome monuments. At the old Mount Zion Church, upon Section 8, is a cemetery which was laid out many years ago, and is yet in use. At Jerusalem Church, in Section 35, is a graveyard; also a very old one at Simms' Church, in Section 25; one upon the farm of Jacob Ream in Section 32, and quite an old one on Section 24, near the Clark and Miami Pike; also a small cemetery upon the farm of Jacob Flick in Section 33.

Upon the site of the village of Lawrenceville, a store was built in the woods by Elias Over about 1836, he having cleared out a patch upon which his building was erected. And a few years later three Germans named Rice, Dipple & Rice built and operated a pottery at the same point, employing a number of hands in the manufacture of crockery ware of all kinds.

The present town was laid out by Emanuel Circle, and placed upon record in 1849. He called it Noblesville after a town of that name in Indiana, which he fancied, and the original number of lots were fifteen. The post office was established in 1875, and the name was then changed to Lawrenceville, there being another Noblesville in the State. The first Postmaster and present incumbent is Alexander Michael. The high school heretofore mentioned, and also the Reformed Church, Mount Pisgah, are located here. The new church building was erected in 1852. There is one store, a shoe-shop, one blacksmith-shop and a wagon factory in the village. . . .

In the War of 1812 (1812-1815) the United States declared war on England because of trade restrictions, impressment, and British support for Indian attacks. They signed the Treaty of Ghent on December 24, 1814 after reaching a stalemate.

Early American Colonists and pioneers had to make everything necessary for daily life and skilled craftsmen were essential.


A blacksmith forges and shapes iron with a hammer and anvil.

A grist mill is a building where a miller grinds gain into flour.
A sawmill was an important developmental step in a community. Before sawmills, boards could only be sawn by two men with a whipsaw. In a sawmill, the circular motion of a water wheel was changed to the back-and-forth motion of the saw blade with a pitman arm.
 

divider

 

Early Settlers of German Township

Date of Arrival

Head of Household

Family

Additional Information

Archibald McKinney

  • wife-Polly
  • sons-Archibald, Westley, William, and James
  • daughters-not named

Settled Section 17

1798

William Chapman

son-Jesse born 1800

  • from Virginia
  • settled in Section 10
  • early tavern keeper
  • left in 1818 for Missouri 
  • Jesse left about 1840 for Pacific Coast, daughter married U.S. Grant, Jr.
  • died 1822 in Missouri

William Haller

1798

William Ross

  • wife-Winnifred Rector who was Charles Rector's sister
  • Lawrence (1778), William (1780), Nancy (1783), Elizabeth (1785), Elijah (1788), John (1793), Mary (1795), Susan (1802) and Charles Ross (1802)
  • from Mason County Kentucky, but not native there
  • Built 1st frame house in 1812

1798

John Ross

  • wife-Rachel Wallace
  • Served in War of 1812
  • son of William

abt 1800

William & Christopher Weaver

very early settlers

1801

Thomas Ross

  • Mary Pence

First marriage recorded in township

  Jacob Kiblinger, Sr.
  • 1760-1814
About 1808 he built first saw and hemp mill in Section 8

1801

Jacob Kiblinger, Jr.

  • Native of Virginia
  • son of Jacob, Sr.

1802

Elijah Weaver

  • wife -Mary McKinley
  • son Newton born 1810
  • Came from Bluegrass region of Virginia
  • settled northeast part of township
  • died 3 years after son’s birth

About 1803

Job Gard

  • wife-Elizabeth
  • children- Gershom, Daniel, Simon, Rachel, Sarah, Phoebe
  • Native of New Jersey, moved to Kentucky and then German Township
  • Erected mills along Mad River
  • Served in War of 1812

by 1805

Gershom Gard

  • children-Eli, Silas H., Dr. John S.

1804

David Jones

  • wife -Margaret
  • children- Mary, Margaret, James M., Lydia, Kiziah
  • Purchased land on Chapman’s Creek 1 ½ mile west of Tremont died in 95th year
  • his mother lived to age 109
  • wife Margaret, died 1850, in 73rd year

1805

Daniel Gentis

Large family of children. Sons settled in neighborhood

  • from Virginia
  • entered 160 acres in Section 23

1805

Philip Kizer

Married Elizabeth Kite and their children were William, Michael, John, George, Sarah, Betsy, Katie, Annie, Mary and Peggie.
  • Settled east of Tremont
  • Came from Virginia
  • Served in War of 1812 as Captain
  • built the first corn mill

1805

George Glass

  • From Virginia
  • Settled in Section 9

1805

Abraham Zerkle

1806

Daniel Kiblinger

  • Native of Virginia
  • 1820 Adam and Daniel Kiblinger and Ira Paige built a grist-mill which they operated until 1832

Charles Rector

Described as larger stature, strong and very hardy.

1806

Thomas Nauman (Nawman, Newman), Jr.

Married Catherine Baker daughter of Henry Baker and Magdalena Miller

1806

Jeremiah Simms

son- Jeremiah, Jr. was local preacher-1st sermon at Rector Church over remains of Catherine Peck in 1822

  • Came to Clark County for second time in 1806
  • entered a quarter section in southern part of township
  • Blacksmith/mechanic

1808

George Welchans

from Pennsylvania

1808

William Enoch

William Enoch's son, William, married Mary Branstetter

from Virginia

1809

Thomas Nauman (Nawman), Sr.

1741-1829

Assisted in Boston Tea Party

1809

Benjamin Morris

  • from Virginia
  • 160 acres in southern part of township in 1810
  • Served in War of 1812,
  • Died at an advanced age

1809

John Kemp

John's son, Soloman, married Magdalena Baker, daughter of Henry Baker.

  • from Virginia
  • settled on Sec. 14

1809

Thomas Hays

Son, Oden Hays, was lost in snowstorm and found dead in a hollow log.

  • native of Kentucky
  • settled on Sec. 25

1809

David Kizer

wife- Married June 23, 1806 Eva Nawman, b. 11 Jul 1787, d. 08 Sep 1869
children-Phoebe b. 20 May 1807; Rebecca b. 29 May 1908; Lydia b. 15 Apr 1811; Thomas b. 18 Dec. 1812 (was county surveyor more than 20 years); Suzannah b. 17 Aug 1815; Eli b. 25 Jan 1823. 

  • born December 20, 1779 in Shenandoah, Virginia, died December 31,1847, buried in Green Mount Cemetery
  • settled on Section 7, Township 4, Range 10
  • J. P. in 1811
  • was “out" in the War of 1812
  • appointed 1st county recorder 1818 & several times re-elected

1810

Joseph Perrin

from Virginia

1810

Felty Schneider (Snyder)

From Virginia

1811

Samuel Baker

wife-Mary Newman daughter of Thomas Nawman From Virginia

1811

John Keller

1812

Rudolph Baker

He married Eve (Eva) Kiblinger on March 16, 1789 in Shenandoah County, Virginia. She was born in 1772 and was the daughter of Johann Daniel Küblinger.

from Virginia

Henry Baker

native of Virginia

Martin Baker

native of Virginia

1812

Benjamin  Frantz

from Pennsylvania

1813

Jacob Baker

Children- Philip, Henry, Jacob, Martin, John & Samuel, and 3 daughters

  • native of Virginia
  • settled in section 14
  • buried in Lawrenceville Cemetery
  • died 1821
1813 Henry Kessler  

1814

Samuel Mermanda

from Virginia

1816

Matthias Rust

son Jacob married Elizabeth Baker daughter of Henry Baker

1816

Frederick Michael

1816

John Beamer

  • wife-Elizabeth Mulholland
  • children-Thomas, Valentine, Eliza McLaughlin)
  • from Virginia
  • settled on Sec. 16

Jacob & David Maggart

Philip Goodman

Andrew and Emanuel Circle

Aft. War of 1812

Benjamin Ream

  • of Pennsylvania
  • Served in War of 1812
  • settled on Section 32

1816

John Lorton

  • wife-Rachel
  • son-John E. Lorton, born 1827 near Lawrenceville

native of Kentucky

1820

Matthias Staley

  • of Maryland
  • a carpenter
1820 Lewis Pence from Virginia

1822

Adam Rockel

  • born Lehigh, Pennsylvania
  • came before married with sisters
  • soldier of War of 1812
  • settled on section 9
  • died 1884 at age 90

1822

Peter Rockel

  • children-Henry, Adam
  • born Lehigh, Pennsylvania
  • settled 1 mile south of Tremont City
  • died 1884

1822

Philip Kern

  • wife-daughter of Peter Rockel
  • son-Adam died about 1888
  • native of Pennsylvania
  • settled on section 9
1827

Reverend “Johnnie" Pence

  • married Margaret Jones
  • Began preaching at the German Reformed Church in 1827
  • Died in the 1880’s age more than 80

1832

William Ballentine

  • wife-Nancy Nail
  • 12 children
  • from Armagh, Ireland
  • died 1851

Dr. Andrew McLaughlin,

left no offspring

  • born in Concord Township, Champaign County
  • died in the Fall of 1882
  • began practice in 1836 in Tremont
  • weighed. 340 pounds
  • expert in fever cases

1853

Dr. Hiram Senseman,

  • his widow died 1907
  • Graduate of Jefferson University in Pennsylvania
  • died in 1883

1832

Adam Neff

  • born 1808
  • 1st wife was daughter of Isaac Turman 
  • from Virginia
  • settled south of Tremont City
  • died 1885

1832

Christian Neff

  • born 1745
  • from Virginia
  • settled south of Tremont City
  • died 1894

1836

Adam Baker, Jr.

  • sons:  William & Cornelius (sheriffs)
  • grandson: A. J. (also sheriff)
  • from Pennsylvania
  • settled near Eagle City Mills

Adam Baker, Sr.

  • County Commissioner 1849

Silas Baker

 

 

from The centennial Celebration of Springfield, Ohio: held August 4th to 10th, 1901

The incomplete list of names of soldiers and sailors of Clark County of that war is still too long to be here given.

Colonel John Dougherty, Major James Xeely, Captains John McPherson, Arthur Layton, Samuel Black, Philip Kizer and Samuel Stewart, and Lieutenants William Ward. Nathaniel Williams and William Lamme, of the cavalry and infantry, and Captain Benjamin Hathaway, of the navy, from this county, were in that war;

(German Township) Benjamin Frantz, G. Gard, David Kizer (father of Thomas Kizer, long County Surveyor of Clark County), Jacob Kiblinger, David Jones, Benjamin Morris, John Ross, John Pence, John, Philip, and Samuel Baker;

 
  Clark County Soldiers 1812
George Albin - Beer's History... pg 291
Frederick Ambrose; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Peter Baker - Beer's History... pg 291
Amos Bailey; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Michael L. Bailey; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Joseph Batcher; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
Andrew Black; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
James Black; Cpl - Ensign William Lamma's Company
Charles Botkin - Beer's History... pg 291
Henry Brandeburg; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
John Branstitter - Beer's History... pg 291
James Brown; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Peter Bruner - Beer's History... pg 291
William Buckley; Lt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
John, Sr. Callison; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
John, Jr. Callison; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Zebulon Cantrill ; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Isaac Carter; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Joseph Chestnut; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
Joseph Clevinger; Ensign - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Joseph Coffe - Beer's History... pg 291
Henry Coffman; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Arthur Collison Sgt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Jacob Conner; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
John Cruca; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
Jeremiah Curl; Drafted - Beer's History... pg 291
William Curl - Beer's History... pg 291
Abraham Custer; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
John Dawson; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Richard Dawson - Beer's History... pg 291
Joseph Duncan; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Jesse Egman; Pvt - Beer's History... pg 291
Thomas Elliott; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
William Elliott; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Jacob Ellsworth - Beer's History... pg 291
William Enoch - Beer's History... pg 291
Stewart Foagey; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
John Fongy; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
John Ford; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Thomas Ford; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
John Foley - Beer's History... pg 291
Jacob Frantz; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Moses Fuller; Cpl - Ensign William Lamma's Company
William H. Fyffe; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Benjamin P. Gaines - Beer's History... pg 291
Gersham Gard - Beer's History... pg 291
John Gentis - Beer's History... pg 291
Jesse Godard - Beer's History... pg 291
Joseph Gutridge; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Joseph Hallin; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Elijah Hammett - Beer's History... pg 291
Charles Harrison; Sgt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Alexander Hayes; Cpl - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
James Henderson; Cpl - Ensign William Lamma's Company
David Henry; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Joab Howell; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
Daniel Hubbell; Sgt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
Selty Hullinger - Beer's History... pg 291
William Hunt - Beer's History... pg 291
Philip Jarbo; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Edward Johnson; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
David Jones - Beer's History... pg 291
Joseph Keifer - Beer's History... pg 291
John Kellar; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Solomon Kelley; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
Adam Kiblinger - Beer's History... pg 291
Daniel Kiblinger - Beer's History... pg 291
Jacob Kiblinger - Beer's History... pg 291
David Kizer - Beer's History... pg 291
Philip Kizer - Beer's History... pg 291
James Lamma; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
William Lamma; Ensign - Ensign William Lamma's Company
William Layton - Beer's History... pg 291
Samuel Leffel; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Britton Lewis; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
John Lewis; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Peter Lintz; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Obediah Lippencott - Beer's History... pg 291
Brumfield Long; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
Daniel Long - Beer's History... pg 291
Cooper Ludlow, Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
John Maggart - Beer's History... pg 291
Abner Martin; Sgt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Jacob Martin; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Isaac Martin; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Henry Mathew; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
A. McConkey - Beer's History... pg 291
Archibald McGrew; Pvt -Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
William McGrew; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
James McIntire; Sgt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Samuel McKinney; Sgt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
Samuel McPerson; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
William McRoberts; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Reuben McSherry; Sgt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
James Mesate; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Martin Miller; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
John Minnick; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Archibald Mitchell; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
John Moony - Beer's History... pg 291
Benjamin Morris; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
James Morris; Sgt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Richard Morris; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Jacob Moses; Drafted - Beer's History... pg 291
Jacob Moss - Beer's History... pg 291
Isaac Myers; Ensign - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
William Nail; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
Daniel Newcomb; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Jacob Olinger - Beer's History... pg 291
Jacob Olinger; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Philip Olinger; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
William Overpack - Beer's History... pg 291
William Overpeck; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Elias Palmer; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
David W. Parkingson; Sgt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
John Pearce; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Jacob Pence - Beer's History... pg 291
Peter Pence - Beer's History... pg 291
Solomon Petty; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
James Rayburn; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
Connoway Rector - Beer's History... pg 291
Elijah Richards; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Lewis Rigdon; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
John Rigdon; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
John Ross; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Prestly Ross - Beer's History... pg 291
Judge William Runkle - Beer's History... pg 291
- ?- Runyan - Beer's History... pg 291
William Runyan; Drafted - Beer's History... pg 291
George Sanders; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Randal Sargeant; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
William Sargeant; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Jeremiah Simms; Capt - Jeremiah Simms; Capt
William Simes; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
Samuel Slower; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Abraham Smith - Beer's History... pg 291
Jacob Smith; Cpl - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Andrew Sparks; Cpl - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
George Stafford; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
Thomas Stafford; Sgt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
William Stapleton; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
William Stevens; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Francis Stevenson; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Stephen Stewart; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Matthias Sturm; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
John A. Swearinger; Cpl - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Bennet Tabar; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
John Tarnplin; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
John Taylor; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Pearce Taylor - Beer's History... pg 291
Lord Thomas; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Francis Thompson; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
Andrew Thorp; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
John W. Vance; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Joseph Vance; Capt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
William Vance; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Adam Verdiar; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
Joseph Voll; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
John Waggoner; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
James Ward; Sgt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
William Ward; Lieut - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Hugh W. Wallace - Beer's History... pg 291
John Wallace; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
Moses Wallace; Pvt - Ensign William Lamma's Company
William Wickerly; Pvt - Capt. Jeremiah Simms Company
John Wiley; Pvt - Capt. Joseph Vance's Company
Abraham Zirkle - Beer's History... pg 291
Emanuel Zirkle - Beer's History... pg 291

In the War of 1812 (1812-1815) the United States declared war on England because of trade restrictions, impressment, and British support for Indian attacks. They signed the Treaty of Ghent on December 24, 1814 after reaching a stalemate.

 

1820 German Township
John Anderson p. 18
Daniel Baker, p. 18
Henry Baker p. 18
Jacob Baker, p. 18
John Baker, p. 17
Martin Baker, p. 18
Philip Baker, p. 18
Rudolph Baker, p. 18
Samuel Baker, p. 18
John Bayley, p. 18
John Beamon, p. 18
Joseph Bearey, p. 17
Robert Boice, p. 18
John Book, p. 18
John Boswel p. 18
Daniel Branston, p. 18
Clarissa Bread, p. 18
William Bunker, p. 18
Nichel Cart p. 18
George Cigor p. 18
Abraham Circle p. 17
Emanuel Circle, p. 18
John Circle, p. 18
Peter Circle, p. 18
Auguesteen Coffin, p. 17
John Collson, p. 18
Antony Deardrich, p. 17
Israel Downey, p. 17
John Downey, p. 17
Dueler Dunavin, p. 17
William Dunawin, p. 18
John Ebert, p., 18
Jacob Everson, p. 18
Thomas J. Fair, p. 18
John French, p. 17
George Friermood, p. 18
Mathias Friermood, p. 18
Daniel Gard, p. 18
Elizabeth Gard, p. 18
Daniel Gentis, p. 17
Daniel Gentis, p. 17
George Glass, p. 18
Samuel Gobel, p. 18
Simeon Han, p. 17
Joseph Hitter, p. 18
Abraham Huffman, p. 17
Thomas Hays, p. 17
Milley Humble, p. 18
John Hutten, p. 18
Jacob Hutten, p. 18
William Hutton, p. 18
Mackey Johnson, p. 17
Rueben Johnston, p. 18
David Jones, p. 17
Daniel Keetor, p. 18
William Keeton, p. 18
George Kemp, p. 18
Soloman Kemp, p. 18
John Kemp, p. 18
Henry Kessler, p. 17
Idaburey Kesler, p. 17
John Kessler, p. 17
Adam Kiblinger, p. 18
Daniel Kiblinger, p. 18
Jacob Kiblinger, p.
18
Daniel Kizer, p. 18
John Kizer, p. 18
James Lorton, p. 18
William Lorton, p. 17
Jesse Low, p. 17
Abraham Maggart, p. 18
Jacob Maggart, p. 18
John Maggart, p. 18
William Marsh, p. 17
Elay Crum Martin, p. 18
Jonathan Marunday, p. 17
Samuel Marunday, p. 17
George Mary, p. 18
Elizabeth Matesron, p. 18
John McColley, p. 17
William McKer, p. 18
Abraham McKinley, p. 18
Peter Merick, p. 18
George Michel, p. 17
John Millcor, p. 18
Ebenezer Mitchel, p. 18
Elisha Mitchel, p. 17
Kevel, Moatch, p. 17
Jacob Mooney, p. 18
Benjamin Morris, p. 17
Joseph Morris, p. 18
John Moss, p. 18
George Myers, p. 18
John Myers, p. 18
Henry Near, p. 17
John Near, p. 18
Henry Nicholas, p. 17
Thomas Norman, Jr. p. 18
Thomas Norman, Sr. p. 18
Jacob Omit, p. 18
William Overpeck, p. 17
Thomas Pater, p. 18
Joseph Paterson, p. 17
Mary Pecock, p. 18
Abraham Pence, p. 18
John Pence, Sr. p. 18
Peter Pence, p. 18
William Pence, p. 18
Joseph Perrin, p. 17
George Potter, p. 17
Benjamin Ream, p. 18
Daniel Rector, p. 18
John Rector, p. 18
Elizabeth Rizer, p. 18
Mary Robinson, p. 18
Haborn Robinson, p. 18
Charles Ross, p. 17
Elijah Ross, p. 18
Mitchel Ross, p. 17
Presley Ross, p. 18
William Ross, p. 18
Jacob Russel, p. 18
Abraham Rust, p. 17
Mathias Rust, p. 17
Abraham Shafer, p. 18
Jeremiah Sims, p. 18
John Slauvans, p. 18
Feltey Snider, p. 17
Peter Soward, p. 18
Daniel Spede Jr. p. 18
William Spence, p. 17
Daniel Speuds, Jr. p. 18
Matthias Staley, p. 17
Mather Stephenson, p. 17
Arthur Stinson, p. 17
Jesse Stockton, p. 18
Thomas Stockton, p. 17
Bonom [Bonham?] Stout, p. 18
Isaac Stout, p. 18
Rubin Tonermond, p. 18
Isaac Turmon, p. 18
George Venus, p. 18
Henry Venus, p. 18
Simon Wan, Jr. p. 17
William Weaver, p. 18
George Welchonce, p. 18

 

 

Bauman & Dreisbach
 
 
 

©Roberta Tuller 2017
tuller.roberta@gmail.com