Loudoun County is part of Northern Neck of Virginia.
Settling of the Loudoun area began between 1725 and 1730 while it was owned by
Lord Fairfax. Settlers came from Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland.
For more than two centuries, agriculture, especially growing tobacco, was the dominant way of life in Loudoun County.
Henry Oxley probably married Johanna in the mid 18th century in Loudoun County, Virginia. Henry was a blacksmith.
On December 13, 1762 Henry's father gave him 188 acres adjacent to Edward Harden and John Oxley and also 100 acres adjacent to John Oxley, and Everitt Oxley.
Henry and Johanna's son, Eli Oxley, was born about 1766 and Levi Oxley was born about 1767 in Loudoun County, Virginia.
In 1722 they began to sell their land. On August 25, 1772 Henry and Johanna sold his brother, Everitt, the 100 acres that were near him.
In the year of the Boston Tea Party, on August 19, 1773, Henry leased 188 acres to Farlin Ball for 15 years. After that, the records indicate, he moved to Leesburg in Loudoun County. He was paid six pounds a year.
Virginia land records for February, 1789 show that Henry Oxley and Johanna sold Isaac Larrowe of Loudoun 188 acres on the west side of Catoctin Mountain adjacent to Henry McCabe, John Oxley, and Clare Oxley.
Henry died in April, 1789.
Catoctin Mountain is part of the eastern ridge of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It is also called Ketoctin, Kittochiny, Kittockton, Kittocton, and South Mountain. The Ketoctin Baptist Church in Loudoun County, Virginia was founded in 1745. It was a log church with an earth floor. Many settlers in the area were atheists or deists and when others gathered for services, they remained outside socializing.
A blacksmith forges and shapes iron with a hammer and anvil.