An American Family History

Schlosser's Union Church

Lutherans are Protestants who follow Martin Luther's religious teachings, especially the doctrine of justification by faith alone.

In 1755, the Schlosser family donated about 100 acres for a church in North Whitehall Township, Northampton (now Lehigh) County, Pennsylvania. The first church was erected by the Reformed congregation and known as the "Schlosser’s Church" in honor of the land donors. It was a crude log church with an earth floor and no heat. Services were conducted in German. Since the building was not used every Sunday, the Lutherans were invited to share it. In 1795 the union of the two churches was formalized.

A two-room log structure was built across the road from the church to serve as a school and schoolmaster’s living quarters.

John Jacob Brandstetter and Maria Margaretha Bloß marriage was recorded on March 30, 1773 at Schlosser's.

During the first forty years, there were problems with the indigenous people. In 1797, the cornerstone for a new stone church was placed. This was the second church, (Stone Church) sometimes known as the "Scrub Oak Church" due to the many oak trees in the area. During the period of the stone church, several new congregations built churches in the area. These included Friedens, Morganland, and Laurys. Union Church lost members to these new churches.

Northampton County, Pennsylvania is on the eastern border of the state in the Lehigh Valley. It was formed in 1752 from parts of Bucks County. Easton is the county seat.