An American Family History

New Garden Monthly Meeting

The Society of Friends (Quakers) began in England in the 1650s, when they broke away from the Puritans. Pennsylvania was founded by William Penn, as a safe place for Friends to live and practice their faith.

Early meetings of New Garden Monthly Meeting in Chester County, Pennsylvania were held John Miller's home starting in 1713. New Garden was settled by Friends from County Carlow, Ireland. James and his wife conveyed six acres of their land to the trustees: Simon Hadley, James Starr, Thomas Jackson, and Michael Lightfoot and in 1715, the members built log meeting house.

In 1743 a red brick addition was added to the south end of the New Garden Friends Meetinghouse.

During the 1750's about forty families from New Garden moved to Guilford County, North Carolina and took the New Garden name with them.

On February 21, 1795, John Philips, Isaac Richards, Jr., William Thompson, Thomas Hoopes, Holiday Jackson, and Joseph Sharp, and their heirs, became the meeting's trustees.



Back to Top