from Genealogy of the Twining Family: Descendants of William Twining, Sr.
by Thomas Jefferson Twining
Stephen Twining, son of William, b. Eastham, Feb. 6, 1659; d. Feb. 18, 1720, Newtown, Pa.; m. Abigail (daughter of John and Abigail Young of E., m. in Ply 12-13, 1648, and had 11 chil.) Jan. 13, 1682-3; d. April 9, 1715, N.
Came to Newtown Tp., Bucks Co., Pa., with his family and his father and mother, 1695, Owned 800 acres of land in Bucks Co., besides considerable property in Eastham. Was appointed Overseer and Elder in Society of Friends, 3 mo. 7 -1713, and 2-12-1715, respectively. The Mo. M't'g Records show him to have been an active and leading member of the Society, his name appearing very frequently on the meeting minutes.
The following was entered on the Book of Records belonging to Wrightstown M. M't'g, 11 mo. 3-1776, by Joseph Chapman, Clerk:
Stephen Twining (son of Stephen) b. 30th, 12 mo. 1684.
Eleazer Twining (son of Stephen) b. 26th, 11 mo. 1686.
Nathaniel Twining (son of Stephen) b. 27th, 3 mo. 1689.
Mercy Twining (dau. of Stephen) b. 8th, 9 mo, 1690.
John Twinning (son of Stephen) b. 5th, 3 mo. 1693.
The above is a true copy taken out of the Book of Records in Eastham in the County of Barnstable, in the Province of Mass. Bay, in New England, May 31, 1715, by John Paine, Town Clerk.
Davis' Hist, of Bucks Co., Pa., has the following in regard to Stephen Twining:
The five hundred acres of Thos. Rowland,extending from Newtown Creek to Neshamony, including the ground the Presby. Church stands upon, was owned by Henry Baker in 1691, who conveyed 248 acres to Job Bunting in June, 1692, and in Oct., 1697, to Stephen Wilson 1695 Bunting conveyed his acres to Stephen Twining, and in 12 mo 17-1698, Wilson did the same, and Twining now owned the whole tract.
In 1703 Stephen owned 690 acres in Newtown. The land on the East of N. was conveyed by S. to his son Eleazer. It is now all gone out of the name and has a large fine residence on the spot where Stephen sat down in his humble log cabin on his first landing on the shores of Penn.
In 1707 Stephen again purchased another tract of land, 300 acres, of John Ward, in the Western part of N. Tp. adjoining Wrightstown, which he left his sons Stephen and John, a part of which is still in the name of Aaron Twining, great grandson of John.
The Monthly Meetings Rec. tell us that Stephen and Wm. Twining's names were added to a Testimony against selling rum or strong drink to the Indians, dated 4 mo., 3rd, 1699. The same records also show that Friends held meetings at William's house in N., and after his death they were held at Stephen's.