logo

An American Family History

Joseph Stanhope

Various spellings of Stanhope
Stanape, Stanup, Standhope, Stanhop, Stanop, and Stannup

Sudbury in Middlesex County, Massachusetts was incorporated in 1639 with a population of 476. A major battle of the King Philip's War was fought in Sudbury in 1676.

Joseph Stanhope was born on September 13, 1662 in Sudbury, Middlesex County, Massachusetts. His parents were Ensign Jonathan Stanhope, Sr. and Susannah Ayres.

He married Hannah Bradish on January 1, 1684/85. Hannah was the daughter of Joseph Bradish and Mary Frost and was born on January 14, 1669. She was sister of the infamous pirate Joseph Bradish who commanded the Adventure.

Joseph and Hannah's children included:
Jonathan Stanhope (1687),
Susanna Stanhope (1685),
Joseph Stanhope (1690),
Jemima Stanhope Walker (1691), and
Isaac Stanhope (1696).

After Joseph died, Hannah married glazier Edward Marrett in Sudbury. Edward was the son of John Marrett and Abigail Richardson. He was born on August 2, 1670. The Marrett family lived in Cambridge on Brattle Street.

Hannah died on April 9, 1754 and her husband died two days later. They had both attended meeting on the previous Sabbath. They were both buried in one grave in the old burying-ground in Cambridge.

Here lyes ye body
of Mrs Hannah Marrett,
wife to Mr. Edward Marrett;
who died. April 9th. 1754.
in ye 85th. year of her age.

Here lyes buried ye body
of Mr. Edward Marrett;
who departed this life April 11th. 1754.
in ye 84th. year of his age.

Old Style Calendar
Before 1752 the year began on Lady Day, March 25th,. Dates between January 1st and March 24th were at the end of the year. Old Style (O.S.) and New Style (N.S.) are used to indicate whether the year has been adjusted. Often both dates are used.
Children of
Ensign Jonathan Stanhope
and Susannah Ayer
  • Hannah Stanhope Jennings
  • Jonathan Stanhope, Jr.
  • Sarah Stanhope
  • Joseph Stanhope
  • Jemima Stanhope Rutter
  • Mary Stanhope
  • Rebecca Stanhope Hemenway
  • ye is an archaic spelling of "the."
     

    divider

     
         
     

    Genealogical and Family History of the State of Maine by George Thomas Little, Henry Sweetser Burrage, Albert Roscoe Stubbs published by Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1909.

    Joseph, son of Ensign Jonathan (1) Stanhope, was born in Sudbury, Massachusetts, September 13, 1662. He married, January 1, 1684-85. Hannah Bradish, who died July 20, 1727, daughter of Joseph Bradish.

    Children, born at Sudbury:
    1. Susanna, September 1, 1685, married, September 27, 1727, William Simson.
    2. Jonathan, January 25, 1686-87, mentioned below.
    3. Jemima, married, May 27, 1717, John Walker.
    4. Isaac, died December 30, 1/29.
    5. Joseph.

     
     
     
     

    from History of Framingham, Massachussetts by William Barry

    Bradish, Joseph on Sud. Rec. 1662, was in Fram. 1672. His chil. by w. Mary, were,
    1. Mary, b. Ap. 10,1665;
    2. Sarah, b. May 6, '67;
    3. Hannah, b. Jan. 14, '69, m. Joseph Stanhope, '85; Joseph, b. Nov. 28, '72.

     
     
     

    A yeoman was a man who owned and cultivated a small farm. He belonged to the class below the gentry or land owners. A husbandman was a free tenant farmer. The social status of a husbandman was below that of a yeoman.

    History of Hardwick, Massachusetts by Lucius Robinson Paige

    Joseph [Bradish], S. of Robert (1), was in Sudbury, 1662, Framingham, 1672, and returned to Cambridge about 1678.

    By w. Mary he had
    Mary,
    b. 10 Ap. 1665, m. John Green, 22 Nov. 1684;
    Sarah,
    b. 6 May 1667, prob. d. young;
    Hannah, b. 14 Jan. 1669-70, m. Edward Marrett, and d. 9 Ap. 1754;
    Joseph,
    b. 28 Nov. 1672, supposed to be the pirate who was sent to London, 1699, and executed;
    Ruth,
    m. Thomas Ford of Marshfield 5 Ap. 1711;
    John, b.
    18 Sep. 1678;
    James,
    b. about 1680. Joseph the f. d. before 2 Ap. 1725,

    when part of his estate in Cambridge was sold by Mary, Hannah, and John, of Camb., James of Westhorough, and Ruth of Marshfield, described as "children of Joseph Bradish, late of Camb yeoman, deceased."

     
     
     
    Slavery is an immoral system of forced labor where people are treated as property to be bought and sold. It was legal in the American Colonies and the United States until the Civil War.

    from "Pirates and Prohibition" excerpted from East Hampton History by Jeannette Edwards Rattroy, 1953, Country Life Press, Garden City, New York.

    Joseph Bradish was a much fiercer pirate than Captain Kidd. He appeared at the eastern end of Long Island earlier in that same year of the Captain Kidd visit to Gardiner's Island, and came very near bringing one of Southampton's first citizens, Col. Henry Pierson, to the gallows for harboring him. Bradish was a bad lot, and his crew, from the description that has come down to us, fits in with the regulation pirate tales. One was pock-marked, another squint-eyed, another "lamish of both legs," another had a "very downe looke."

    This Bradish, who was only 25, had started out from London in 1698 as a boatswain's mate on a voyage to Borneo and the Far East, in the Adventure, a "hag-boat" of 350 tons and 22 guns, with a cargo worth about $400,000. in our money. Six months out from London they landed for water on an island near India. Part of the crew seized the ship, leaving the captain and other officers on shore. Bradish was elected captain. They shared up the cargo, then the ship made for Long Island.

    One morning in March, 1699, Col. Pierson, who was a member of the Colonial Assembly in New York, looked out of the window at his home in Sagaponack and saw a strange ship under sail in the ocean, not far offshore. He called some neighbors. They launched a boat and went off to the ship. The captain Bradish said they were bound to Philadelphia from London, 15 months out. He asked for fresh provisions and to be taken ashore. He frankly gave his name and birthplace, but nobody here had ever heard of the Adventure. Rev. Ebenezer White of Sagaponack, minister at Bridgehampton, being at home, joined the pirate and Col. Pierson and the three rode horseback to East Hampton, five miles away. Here they called on John Mulford, a leading citizen; and were also joined by the young East Hampton minister, Rev. Nathaniel Huntting (who later on delivered a strong sermon on piracy). Rev. White and Col. Pierson returned with Bradish to Sagaponack. The next day Bradish brought ashore four sealed bags. Three contained money, and one jewels. He asked Col. Pierson to take care of them for him. For this he gave Pierson two small guns and a cask of powder, also one jewel, and a small bag of pieces of eight.

    The ship lay off East Hampton for a few days, while Col. Pierson went with Bradish to hire three sloops, one from Southampton and two from Southold, that were to unload the ship's cargo. Meanwhile, East Hampton people began to grow suspicious. Several went on board and talked with the mate. He said they came from the Guinea Coast, but there were no Negro slaves in sight. The strangers sold some small guns to the Long Island men; but said they had orders not to open anything else.

    An experienced pilot, Samuel Hand, was hired to take the ship to Gardiner's Island. The wind not being favorable, they ran over to Block Island instead. The unloading sloops met the Adventure there; Carter Gillum of Southold and Ebenezer Meggs of Guilford, Conn. commanded two of them. When the job was done, they fired guns into the bottom of the Adventure and sank her. Then the pirates scattered. There was a great hue and cry. The men were captured, but escaped. Some were recaptured, and sent to England with Kidd. Bradish was hanged.

    Meanwhile, a busybody neighbor of Col. Pierson's had told of the treasure left with him. On April 27, 1699, he turned over to the authorities a great quantity of diamonds, rubies, pearls, sapphires, and turquoise. He had a hard time proving that he had been no more than indiscreet, in holding the bag for the pirate; but influential friends spoke for him, and he went free.

    Eastern Long Island was settled at Southold by English Puritans on October 21, 1640. Western Long Island was Dutch. The Conklins and other related families owned the entire area in the 17th century. The Dutch granted an English settlement in Hempstead (now in Nassau) in 1644. In 1664, the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam became English and was renamed New York.

     

    Bauman & Dreisbach
     
     
     

    ©Roberta Tuller 2017
    tuller.roberta@gmail.com