Lush forests in Colonial America allowed settlers to build wooden homes.
Thomas Green was born about 1665 in Virginia. His parents were Martha Elizabeth Filmer and Thomas "Seagull" Green.
He married Elizabeth Marston. Elizabeth was born on November 25, 1672. She was the daughter of Thomas Marston and Elizabeth Marvell.
Thomas and Elizabeth's children may have included:
Daughter Green (married Thomas Cowles),
Elizabeth Green (1715, married Dawson and Leonard Cheatham),
William Green (1716, married Amey Clay),
Lucy Green, (1717, married Henry Clay and William Marshall),
Martha Green (1719, married Charles Clay),
Thomas Green (1723, married Martha Wills),
Rebecca Green (1728, married Francis Jones), and
Marston Green (1729, married Elizabeth Apperson).
In 1704, Thomas Green paid quit rents on 550 acres in James City County.
In February 1729/30, Walter Scott sold Thomas Green “of County & Parish of James City” 400 acres in the Varina Parish of Henrico County, Virginia.
Thomas died in 1730.
In December, 1753, Elizabeth Green, Sr. bought 150 acres on the heads of Woody and Deep Creeks in Amelia County, Virginia from Timothy Murrill of Onslow County, North Carolina. Abraham Green, Marston Green, and Thomas Green witnessed the deed.
Elizabeth died in Amelia County about 1759 (will dated 12 Nov. 1758 , recorded 24 Jan. 1760).
Estate inventories give us a glance into the home life of Colonial Americans.
from The Clay Family
Thomas Green was born about 1665, and died in 1730; was the son of Thomas Green, "the Sea Gull" (so called from having been born upon the sea en route to America), and his wife, Martha Filmer, daughter of Major Henry Filmer, officer of the British army of occupation. ( See General Green Clay's manuscript, written about 1820.) Thomas Green, "the Sea Gull," was the son of Thomas and Martha Green, immigrants from Holland, who settled near Petersburg, Virginia.
Major Henry Filmer and his wife, Elizabeth, married in England. They settled in James City County, which he represented in the House of Burgesses in 1642. (Hening's Statutes.)