logo

An American Family History

George Head

The first European settlement in Orange County, Virginia was in 1714 and the county was officialy formed in 1734 with no western border. In 1738 the western part became Augusta County.

A tithable was a person for whom a head tax was to be paid. The definition varies over time and place, but generally included members of the potentially productive labor force.
A poll tax is a tax levied on every poll. The definition of a poll also varied, but was generally a man of legal age.

George Head was born about 1723.

In 1736, the tax list for the south side of the Rapidan River included Anthony Head, George Head, and Robert Dearing.

George married Elizabeth Dearing about 1740. Elizabeth was the daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Dearing.

George and Elizabeth's children included:

William Head (1740),
Elizabeth Head (1745),
Milly Head (1750),
George Head (1755), and
Robert Head (1757, married Martha Elder).

In March, 1736, Robert Dearing and George Head petitioned the Orange County Court and said they were the "proper persons" to survey the land on Blue Run up to the Octonia line, then to Beaver Run. At the time, this area was south of the original Octonia.

On December 4, 1744 George Heady, planter leased 200 acres in Spotsylvania County from Francis Thornton, Gent. The land joined John Proctor and Abraham Darnell and the division line of the sd. Francis and Anthony Thornton and Humphrey Bell of London.

In 1749, the Orange County tithable list included George Head with two men.

In 1754, George Head's household included five tithables. Orange County road orders included George on March 1, 1754

In 1756, the tax list showed George with 2 tithables.

On January 27, 1757, Orange County road orders included George.

On February 28 1760, Orange County road orders included George. On March 27, 1760 "On the petition of Geo. Head a poor, ancient man, he is exempt for paying county levy for the future." George would have been about 37.

On June 2, 1760, Richard Durrett of Spotsylvania County deeded 300 acres to George Head. The land was patented on August 28, 1746 by Michael Pearson (former overseer on Octonia) and was adjacent to George Head, Zachary Taylor, John Bryson, James Cox, and Edward Franklyn.

In 1769 George Head was in Granville County, North Carolina.


 Spotsylvania County, Virginia was established in 1721 from parts of Essex, King and Queen, and King William counties. In 1734 Orange County was created from part of Spotsylvania.

The 24,000 acre Octonia Grant was recorded in 1722. The land is now in Greene and Orange Counties, Virginia. The original eight grantees failed to meet the settlement requirement and the grant was renewed in 1729 to Robert Beverly. William Stanard inherited a significant portion of the Octonia grant in 1756.

The Octonia Stone (Octoney, Octeny, Octona, and Octuna) marks the end of the western boundary. It is near Stanardsville, Greene County, Virginia. The stone is engraved with a figure 8 with a cross touching the top of the 8.

stone
 

divider

 
 

 

 
Colonial Maryland
Colonial New England
Colonial Virginia & West Virginia
Quakers & Mennonites
New Jersey Baptists
 
German Lutherans
Watauga Settlement
Pennsylvania Pioneers
Midwest Pioneers
Californians
Jewish Immigrants

©Roberta Tuller 2020
tuller.roberta@gmail.com
An American Family History is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program,
an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.