The American Revolutionary War (1775–1783) was between the Kingdom of Great Britain and the 13 colonies which became the newly formed United States.
Roll of Robert Cluggage's company October 5, 1776
Colonel Edward Hand
James Chambers Lieutenant Colonel
Major Jas. Ross
Thacher in his Military Journal of the Revolution states:
They are remarkably stout and hardy men; many of them exceeding six feet in height. They are dressed in white flocks or rifle shirts and round hats. These men are remarkable for the accuracy of their aim; striking a mark with great certainty at two hundred yards distance. At a review, a company of them, while on a quick advance, fired their balls into objects of seven inches diameter, at the distance of two hundred and fifty yards. They are now stationed in our lines, and their shot have frequently proved fatal to British officers and soldiers who expose themselves to view, even at more than double the distance of common musket shot.
From History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties
. . .Colonel Thompson was promoted brigadier on the first of March, 1776, and Lieut. Col. Hand of Lancaster, succeeded him. The term of the battalion expired on the 30th of June, 1776, but officers and men in large numbers re-enlisted for three years or during the war, under Col. Hand, and the battalion became the first regiment of the Continental Line. It was at Long Island, White Plains, Trenton and Princeton, under Hand.
resigned October 6, 1776
promoted captain of Ross' company, September 25, 1776
from second lieutenant, September, transferred to Fourth Pennsylvania
promoted first lieutenant, September 25, 1776
killed September 11, 1777
discharged 1781; wounded in battle of Brandywine; resided in Washington county in 1803
The Battle of White Plains was on October 28, 1776 near White Plains, New York. The Americans retreated from New York City and the British landed troops in Westchester County to cut them off. The Americans attempted to establish a position in White Plains, but the British drove them from a hill near the village.