West Virginia is located in the Appalachians and was originally part of Virginia. The capital and largest city is Charleston. It became a state during the Civil War and was admitted to the Union on June 20, 1863.
William Stevens was born in Wheeling, Ohio County, West Virginia (was Virginia) on June 27, 1754.
He married Polly Morgan in 1785 in Pennsylvania.
Nancy Stevens (1786, married David Bryan),
Rebecca Stevens (1787, died in infancy),
Elizabeth Stevens (1789, married John S. Ramsby),
John Stevens (1791),
Isaac Stevens (1793, married & divorced Polly Serls),
Ruthy Steven (1795),
Elias Robert Steven (1797, married Mitilda Brown Rose ),
Polly Mary Stevens (1799, married Wilkinson Clark),
Katy Stevens (1801 died in infancy),
William W. Stevens (1803, married Mariah Catherine Hamilton),
Eliza Stevens (1806, married Cornelius Clark, Sr.)
In 1793 the Stevens returned to Wheeling
By 1806 the family was in Amanda Township, Fairfield County, Ohio.
Fairfield County is in central Ohio. The county seat is Lancaster.
Matthew Stephens was born about 1747 in Ireland.
Captain William Stevens (1783, married Jane Long)
History of that part of the Susquehanna and Juniata Valleys embraced in the counties of Mifflin, Juniata, Perry, Union and Snyder
The Rev. Matthew Stephens settled in what is now Bratton township before 1780, where he owned one hundred and twenty-five acres of land adjoining the farm of James Crisswell, the elder, an uncle of Judge James Crisswell.
He was one of the ministers present at the organization of the Huntingdon Presbytery, in April, 1795, and at this was not an installed pastor, but held a call from the Upper and Centre congregations in Wayne township, which he had accepted. He requested permission to return the call at Presbytery meeting October 6, 1795, which was granted, and in 1797 he accepted a call from Shaver's Creek congregation, and soon after moved to that place, where he remained many years and died in 1825. This old church and society are not mentioned in the history of Huntingdon Presbytery, and was a small and weak congregation, and upon the removal of Mr. Stephens was probably not again supplied, and the old church went into ruin.