Various spellings of Estey
Easte, Este, Estee, Estes, Estey, Esty
The settlement of New Meadows was incorporated as the Town of Topsfield by authority of the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1650. The church "gathered" on November 4, 1663 with the Rev. Thomas Gilbert. The third Meeting House was built on the Common in 1703 with Rev. Joseph Capen as pastor.
Lush forests in Colonial America allowed settlers to build wooden homes.
At A Legal Town meeting In Topsfield March ye 2nd 1730-31 . . . Joseph Robinson, Aaron Estey, & Nathan Bixby: are Chosen Tythingmen for ye year Ensuing.
He died on April 21, 1783 in Topsfield. He is probably buried in the South Side Cemetery with his wife Esther.
The South Side Cemetery is in the southern part of Topsfield. In 1740 Joseph Herrick deeded to David Cummings, John Cummings, Joseph Towne, Nathaniel Porter, Thomas Dwinell, Benjamin Towne, Samuel Curtis, Aaron Estey, Gideon Towne, Nathaniel Porter, Jr., Amos Dorman, Thomas Dorman, Israel Towne, Daniel Robinson and Joseph Hobbs a half acre of land in Topsfield on the south side of Ipswich River, known as the burying place, enclosed with a stone wall, to be used as a cemetery. No stones mark the earliest graves and the resting places of only a few of the Revolutionary soldiers buried here can be identified. Mrs. Esther Estey who lived to be over a hundred years old is buried there.
Old Style Calendar
Before 1752 the year began on Lady Day, March 25th,. Dates between January 1st and March 24th were at the end of the year. Old Style (O.S.) and New Style (N.S.) are used to indicate whether the year has been adjusted. Often both dates are used.
ye is an archaic spelling of "the."
Essex County, Massachusetts was created on May 10, 1643 by the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, when it ordered "that the whole plantation within this jurisdiction be divided into four sheires."