In 1712, his father "took up" a house lot in Joppa Town, Maryland for him.
In 1720 Anne (Groome) Felkes (or Phelks) left Ashael's parents, Anne and James, Taylor's Choice which was 300 acres at the head of the Gunpowder River during their lives. After they died, it was to go Ashael. He also inherited some of her personal property.
He died when he was only about 20 years old. After his death, his wife married John Hall (1701-1774).
Hannah and John sold Holland's Adventure which they had renamed Hall's Pasture.
Gunpowder Neck, was in Baltimore, County but is now in Harford County, Maryland. Joppa was a major seaport and the county seat of Baltimore County from 1712 to 1769.
St. John's Parish was in Joppa, but later moved to Kingsville, Maryland. Robins Point, Rickett Point Road, Maxwell Point Road, and Ford Point are south of the current Joppatowne on Gunpowder Neck. Spry Shoal is just off Rickett Point.
Baltimore County, Maryland was founded in 1659 and included most of northeastern Maryland. The original county included parts of Cecil, Frederick, Harford, Carroll, and Baltimore Counties.
Will of Asael Maxwell,
2 Apr 1729-16 May 1729 Baltimore
To: wife Hannah dwelling plantation Taylors Choice and lands adj.
devised testator by dec'd father and residue of personalty; sister Anne & heirs Majors Choice at the Land of Nodd (should a child be born being
lawful issue of testator then lands devised to wife and sister to pass to
child after decease of wife); bro James, the younger.
Mathews, Anne Lester. (6:120)
John Hall and Hannah, his wife of Baltimore County
A certain John Holland had on 6th of December 1676 surveyed for him tract of land called Holland’s Adventure, lying and being in Baltimore County,
200 acres from assignment from William Horns 3 Oct 1676 which the said George Holland assigned his right to Francis Watkins who sold and conveyed to
Robert Cutcheon [Cutchin], the Elder, who sold 20 acres more or less to James Maxwell who
was since dead and by last will and testament devised the same to his son,
Azie, (Azil?) who intermarried with the petitioner Hannah, and by his last will
and testament, devised the same to her by which --- the same 20 acres became the
right of the petitioners.
Land granted, now resurveyed and called Hall’s
Pasture, beginning at the mouth of Taylor’s Creek, alias Holland’s Creek on the
west side thereof, to tract of land called Taylor’s Choice.
Granted 20 June
MD LW&P 1748-1749,
FHC Film 0013092, page 38, Liber No. 70.
Holland's Adventure - in part of Baltimore County, Maryland that became Harford County.
1676 - surveyed for John Holland
who assigned it to Francis Watkins who sold it to Robert Cutchin in 1705.
Robert sold 20 acres to James Maxwell.
Ashael Maxwell inherited those acres and his widow, Hannah, married John Hall who renamed it Hall's Pasture.